Chapter 39

Gajeel and Erza would have left for the nearest town right away but Gray suggested that they take some rum with them, not for drinking of course but to put on Jellal and Sting's injuries so the alcohol in the drinks would prevent them from getting infected any further. They didn't have a lot but they had enough. They also decided to have them stock up on weapons in case they encountered any enemies on the trip back.

"There are only two bottles but I think they should keep their wounds from getting infected before they get to a doctor." Gray said as he handed the two bottles of rum to Gajeel. "You think you'll be able to make it?"

"I'm a fast rower." Gajeel told him.

"Good."

"So you're gonna stay and help Natsu rescue his girlfriend?"

"Looks like it."

"Then good luck to you and while you're at it make sure that Juvia is alright."

"You don't think she was actually caught by them do you?"

"She's very smart but sometimes being smart isn't enough. Especially when dealing with people like the tartaros crew."

"I'm really worried about her."

"Oh really?" Gajeel said looking upset. "Because judging by what you said to Laxus-"

"I didn't mean it! I was just annoyed and angry! You of all people know what it's like when your emotions get the better of you."

"Yes but that's no excuse."

"I'm not saying it is! I know what I said was horrible but they weren't true. She means a lot to me and right now I hate myself for what I said! I shouldn't even thought of saying those God forsaken words! And I know that if anything happens to her it'll be my fault and I'll never be able to forgive myself!"

Gajeel took notice of the intense concern, guilt, and longing in Gray's eyes. He was all too familiar with those emotions and if a man could feel all three of them at the same time because of a terrible thing he did to a woman it could only mean one thing.

"You're in love with her right?"

"In love?!" Gray cried as his serious and guilty demeanor dropped to a flustered one. "No!"

"Yeah that's thing about you religious types, you're the worst liars."

"I'm not lying! I promise!"

"Tsk-tsk." Gajeel said waving his finger. "Thou shall not bear false witness. Remember that commandment holy boy?"

"Look I won't deny that I care deeply for her but love? Isn't that a bit too far fetched? I mean come on she's not human and...And we're too different...These feelings are just me being a good Christian that's all."

"Who are you trying to convince, me or you? Because it sounds like to me you have already given your heart to that woman without even knowing it."

"I can't love her! She's a mermaid for God's sake!"

"Believe it or not Gray it's not that uncommon for a man of the air to love a woman of the sea."

"What are you talking about?"

Gajeel sighed and checked around to make sure no one else was around to hear what he was going to say.

"Okay I'm only telling you this because I've been in your situation before and if you tell any of the other crew members you're shark chow."

"Tell them what?"

"Gray I want you to put your hand on my chest."

"Pardon?" Gray said skeptically.