Chapter 41

After Gajeel and Erza left with Sting and Jellal, Natsu, Gray, and Laxus gathered up the supplies they needed and got into a life boat which they used to row toward the island. As they came closer to it they couldn't shake the ominous feeling it was giving them. Even Laxus was somewhat frightened of what was to come.

"Hey there's something floating in the water over there!" Gray pointed out. They moved the boat toward the floating object and Gray picked it up. It was the dress Juvia had been wearing which they could see was now tattered and torn. "Oh dear God."

"Now don't panic." Natsu told his best friend when he sensed his growing fear. "We don't know for sure if this means something's happened. I mean yes the dress is torn but there's no blood so there's a good chance she could still be alive."

"This is all my fault. She wouldn't have run off if I hadn't of said those stupid words. God help me, if anything's happened to her I'll never forgive myself."

"Beating yourself up about this won't help. Come on let's keep going."

At last their boat reached land and they found footprints in the sand and dirt. Their best bet at finding Tartoros and the girls was to follow those tracks.

"So what's the plan when we find them?" Laxus said.

"Simple we kick their asses." Natsu said.

"A bit impulsive don't you think?" Gray asked.

"Do you have a better idea?"

"No."

"I didn't think so."

As they followed the tracks, it seemed to be getting darker and darker around them. They could see why Tendrou Island was considered one of the most dangerous places on the planet. They stumbled upon several skeletons which had once been the bodies of living people. 

"Stay close." Natsu told his two crew members. "It's easy to get lost in a place like this and keep your eyes peeled for any suspicious looking plants and animals. According to my father the species that are native to this island are very unusual and very dangerous."

"How unusual and dangerous?" Gray asked.

He got his answer when suddenly they heard a loud shriek and looked up to see a large flock of half bird half lizard like monstrosities flying down toward them. 

"What the hell are those?!" Laxus shouted.

"I have no idea but they can't be good." Natsu said.

At once they lunged for the three men and pinned them to the ground, trying to tear out their throats with their talons. Natsu and his friends tried to resist and force the creatures off of them but their strength was unmatched. It was like they couldn't move and that all they could do was accept their fate. Then suddenly a cloaked figure jumped down from the trees, gaining the creatures attention. It pulled out two spears which it used to knock the bird-reptile creatures off of the three pirates. Enraged, the monsters lunged for the figure but it fought back with incredible agility and strength. This person was equal to Erza in terms of combat skill. At last the figure was able to drive the creatures away by using the spears to make a whistle like noise that drove them to extreme irritation.

Natsu, Gray, and Laxus stood from the ground and looked at the figure in amazement. Their amazement was furthered when the figure shed it's cloak, revealing itself or rather herself to be a white haired young woman wearing native like clothing. A very attractive young woman.

"That was amazing." Gray said approaching her. "Thanks."

He offered her his hand to shake but she swatted it away with her spear.

"If you want to thank me." She said in a voice that sent shivers up their spines. "Go back to it is you came from."

"We can't." Natsu said. "We're looking for something on this island."

"The book of E.N.D?" 

"Yes how did you know?"Laxus said.

"The ground is littered  with the bones of who have tried  for it and failed. You three will be no different, give up this foolish task at once! You don't know-"

"Look lady we appreciate the help-"

She kicked Laxus under his feet, sending him to the ground and pinned him there with the end of her spear just inches from his neck.

"Do not interrupt me! My words are of great importance to you all!" She said. "If you continue down this path you'll end up destroying yourselves! Leave Tendrou Island before it's too late."

"You don't understand." Natsu said. "We didn't just come for the book. One of our friends has been taken by a pirate crew that came to this island and we have reason to believe that they have another friend of ours as well."

Her demeanor seemed to soften a little.

"So you come to this island to rescue your comrades?"

"Yes."

"You swear you're speaking the truth?"

"I am."

"What is your name?"

"Captain Natsu Dragneel."

"Dragneel? Any relation to Captain Igneel Dragneel?"

"He was my father. You know him?"

"He saved my life many years ago. In return I promised him that I would do anything he requested of me. He had only one request."

"What was that?"

"If I was to ever happen upon his son, then I would help him however I could. If you are indeed Igneel's son then I am bound by my word to help you." She stepped away from Laxus and allowed him to stand back up. "I am Mirajane, this island is my home and I am apart of tribe of people who have been here for centuries. Come with me."

"Where are we going?"

"Back to my tribe. If you all seek to find these friends of yours and retrieve them you will need help in preparing for the dangers on this island."

"We don't have much time for this." Gray said. "Our friends are being held by people who won't hesitate to kill the innocent. We have to act now."

"And your efforts will be meaningless if you are all killed by something on this island before you reach them." She said. "Please listen to me, I have seen many lives lost on this island. Both good and evil, very few have come here and not perished. Myself and my people are probably your only chance of rescuing your allies and leaving this island alive."

As much as Natsu and Gray wanted to start looking for Lucy and Juvia right away, they realized that Mirajane had a point. All three of them were almost killed by those monsters in just five seconds. Who knows how long they would last without being prepared for any potential danger? They're best bet was to follow Mirajane and do whatever she said. They just hoped that by the time they were ready it wouldn't be too late.