9 - Luther Magalona

9 - Luther Magalona

"I think Luther killed your brother... Maybe, he didn't plan it. Maybe, it wasn't his intention. Maybe, his emotions just got the best of him."

Maybe, I was right.

I came here at Heaven Academy with four names in my suspects list. They were all written with the common reason that they are the closest to Aster and that they are the only ones who have access to the Royal Manor and know the passcode to his bedroom door. Setting all of those common denominators aside, however, makes one name stand out: Luther Magalona, Aster's bestfriend.

Luther Magalona, the guy who's so in love with his bestfriend's girlfriend.

Aster and their other friends might have had, or still have, no idea about Luther's feelings for Iris, but I do. Right on the very first time I've met all of them, I have noticed how bright his eyes twinkle when he looks at her. I am very much aware of how different he treats her compared to any other girl, which made me surprised when Iris became my twin brother's girlfriend. I thought it would be her and Luther, but it didn't happen.

For three years since Junior High, I've seen Luther being so close to Iris yet only admiring her from afar. I didn't mind that his feelings seemed to have stayed as I witnessed how happy he was for Aster. They really were the best of friends. He respected my twin's relationship even if it's with the girl he loves the most.

But like any other human being, I guess, Luther could only bear so much heartache.

"I didn't believe it at first, but the day before your twin died, my brother shared to me that he heard Luther confessing his feelings to Iris."

He confessed. I don't know what he was expecting as a result of his confession, but his actions alone could tell that he wanted a change. He wanted to quit being the moon that watches her from the dark. He wanted to be the sun that lights up the days she looks forward to.

For someone like Saichi who just found out about Luther's hidden feelings for Iris, theories like him killing Aster was unintentional would be the first thought to entertain. But for someone who saw how Luther struggled to hide his damn admiration for years and fix his broken heart alone, I'm more inclined to believe that he planned all of this.

Inihagis ko ang bote ng alak na agad na nabasag nang tumama sa pader. Hindi man ako nagsalita, o lumingon man lang, mabilis na nagpatong ang maid ng panibagong bote sa harap ko. It's just nine in the morning and I'm already drowning myself with alcohol. I need it. It could wash away all the anger I am feeling right now, and I'm taking my chances.

More than just being mad about a murderer who killed my twin brother, I'm disappointed about a guy who could take his bestfriend's life just for the sake of love. Yes, you could do anything for love—anything normal, anything moral. But you don't kill a person for love! You don't kill your bestfriend for fucking love!

"Damn it!" Hindi pa nababawasan ang laman ng bote nang ibato ko ulit 'yon sa pader. Ilang segundo lang ay may bago na ulit sa harapan ko. Mahigpit ko 'yong hinawakan at dire-diretsong ininom.

What's more disappointing is that the guy in question is Luther Magalona. I may have had my doubts but deep inside of me, I thought—I hoped—that he didn't do that. He's not capable of doing that—or was that just me holding on to the little memories of the times I saw him and Aster together before?

Just the same as how he really knows nothing about me, maybe, I really know nothing about Luther. We may have been aware of each other's existence for years, we may have told some people that we're friends, but that's just it. We weren't really close. Him and my twin maybe the best of friends, but us? We're just acquainted.