10 - Luther, the best friend

["How's the party?" ]

I remember raising an eyebrow when I heard mom's question from the other end of the line. "What party?" I asked back.

It took her ten seconds to speak again. I don't know if she did something, or she was just confused with why I asked that. ["The surprise party I set at our house? The organizers had reported to me an hour ago that your classmates are already there." ]

"I don't know what you're talking about, mom. Why a party? What's there to celebrate?"

["Come on, baby. It's your 17th birthday—" ]

"It's Aster's birthday as well," I reminded her.

["Of course..." ] I was also confused, back then, of why she spoke that way, why her tone was like that. It seemed to me that she almost forgot that I share the same birthday with my twin brother—which doesn't make any sense.

"I'm on my way to Heaven Academy, right now. Cancel the party or let the guests stay at our house. Just don't make them expect that I'm coming, because I'm not."

["W-Why are you going to Heaven Academy?" ] That question made my forehead crease even more.

"Greet Aster a happy birthday?" I answered with an unsure tone. "Argue with him about how boring this day is?"

My conversation with mom ended at that because the line was cut. Now that I think about it, that was the only time we had a problem with connection. Anyway, I really went to Heaven Academy that day.

Being someone from the Oliver family, and someone who often visits here, the guards quickly opened the gates of Heaven Academy when they saw my car approaching. Bumusina lang ang driver sa kanila at dumiretso na kami sa dormitory. Sabado ang araw na 'yon kaya sigurado akong nasa royal manor ang kapatid ko.

The lobby and the hallways were all empty and silent—must've been because the students were enjoying their weekend passes that time. I expected Aster to be alone at the royal manor that day, pero kakalabas ko pa lang ng elevator ay narinig ko na ang pagtugtog ng piano na naroon sa common room. Iris is the only person who lives here that knows how to play the keys, so I thought that she also stayed for the weekend to celebrate my brother's—his boyfriend—birthday. I also thought that that must be the reason why Aster didn't come home even though it's our birthday, even though it's weekend. Imagine my confusion when I saw her with another person.

"Luther?" I called. He seemed shocked and embarrassed when he saw me. He knew that I witnessed him drooling over Iris while turning the pages of the music book as she plays the piano.

"E-Erisk? What are you doing here?"

"Thanks for the greeting," I replied sarcastically. Luther seemed confused at first until Iris laughed and stood up to hug me.

"Happy 17th birthday, Erisk!" she said.

"Oo nga pala!" Realization finally hit Luther. "Happy birthday!"

"Where's my brother?" I asked. "I thought I'd see you guys celebrating here."

"Ayaw ng kakambal mo na mag-celebrate," nakasimangot na sagot ni Luther. Parang siya pa 'tong malungkot na hindi sine-celebrate ang birthday ng best friend niya. "Pero walang umuwi ni isa sa'min. Si Dom lang pala, may lunch with President Defensor. Pero dito rin 'yon uuwi mamaya."

"Aster's at the basement," sabi naman ni Iris. "Charlotte's practicing her archery skills at sinasamahan siya ng kapatid mo."

Noong araw na 'yon, hanggang ngayon, hindi ko alam kung papaniwalaan ko ba ang ngiti sa mga labi ni Iris habang ibinabalita sa'kin na ibang babae ang kasama ng boyfriend niya sa birthday nito. I know Charlotte is Aster's childhood friend, but does she really trust my twin that much?