16 - Iris Clavano

16 - Iris Clavano

"Good morning."

I should've paid attention to Saryo's words. He said our teacher in etiquette. From that, I should've had an idea of what's going to happen.

The old lady dressed in the most—I'll just say sophisticated—clothing I have ever seen here in the Philippines—I mean, she looks like she's invited for a front seat at the Dior fashion show—let her eyes roam around the forty students inside the classroom. Yes, forty. Our class and Saryo's class were combined for some reason I do not know. I could only raise an eyebrow when I came in that morning and saw that our tables were gone, the number of chairs were doubled and they are arranged to form a letter u.

Biglang tumayo ang lahat. Kahit wala akong ideya sa kung ano ang nangyayari, tumayo rin ako.

"Good morning, madame," everybody said in unison. I could only open my lips. No one told me about anything. I wasn't oriented about these greetings.

Mula sa kabilang side ng room, kitang-kita ko ang pagpipigil ni Saryo ng tawa habang nakatingin sa'kin. Nilingon ko si Saichi na ilang upuan din ang layo sa akin, at nagkibit balikat lang. Dahil sa paglingon ko sa kaliwa, napansin ko nanaman ang bakanteng upuan sa tabi ko. It's supposed to be Luther's seat, but he's still at the hospital. Sa kanan ko naman, hindi ko alam kung paanong nangyari pero sina Dominic, Iris, at Charlotte ang katabi ko.

"Take your seats." From her tone, her calculated moves, and the way she looked at us, I already understand why Saryo sort of warned me about her. She looks like the word strict, personified. Well, it is just another class. I can breathe my way through it.

"I am Madame Merliza Alonzo, introducing myself for our new lady who seems to be not listening right now."

Napalingon ako sa unahan. Ako 'yong tinutukoy niya, 'di ba? I slightly creased my forehead and immediately heard Dominic sighing. Hindi ko na siya natanong kung bakit ang aga-aga ay stressed siya, nang lumapit sa akin si Madame Merliza.

"You should know that I teach students not just the proper etiquette, but also good manners, Miss Oliver," taas noong sabi niya na nakapagpataas din sa mga kilay ko. She scoffed, offended by my eyebrows, and that made me smirk. "You should also know that I don't tolerate anyone with bad attitude in my class, no matter which family they came from."

"Okay," I said. Napabuga ulit siya ng hangin. Rinig ko rin ang bulungan ng iba naming mga kaklase. "Oh, don't be offended. I'm actually just surprised that someone in here doesn't care about social status."

"Well, you'll know more about me in this class." She raised her chin even more just so she could look down at me. Eh, talaga namang yuyuko siya para tignan ako dahil nakaupo ako. Tsk.

"Looking forward," sabi ko na lang.

She glared at me for the last time before walking back to the front. The moment she turned her back to me and faced the class, the room suddenly became silent again—which just goes to show how much the students fear Madame Merliza. And due to the silence, I heard Dominic Defensor sighing again.

"For today's class, you will learn about the Royal Etiquette," Madame Merliza announced. I don't know how the others managed to keep a straight face because I automatically rolled my eyes upon hearing the word etiquette. I suck at that. I'm already sure that I'll be bombing the class. "First of..."

Madame Merliza clapped her hands twice and the door opened. Two men wearing the uniform of Heaven Academy's staffs went in and set up two tables in front of the class. Two maids then went in and placed two sets of tableware, one on each table. Nakikita ko pa lang ang table napkin, nai-stress na ako.