Chapter 10

After their encounter with the trolls, the company managed to get out of their bindings. Dienna smiled, This was our first battle, and we won! She knew that it wouldn't be the last, but nonetheless she was happy. As she saw all the dwarves moving about, regaining their bearings, she walked over to the outskirts of the group to examine her arm. She took off the quick bandage job and didn't like what she saw. The rusty troll knife cut deep and jagged, she gagged looking at the torn muscle. The trolls didn't help when they grabbed all of her limbs, all they did was put more dirt into the already dirty wound. I can't let the others know, especially Thorin, he won't be at all happy. There was an ill feeling settling into her stomach already, however, making it clear that the infection was already taking hold. Although Dienna was smart, she wasn't smart with herbs and medicine, Maybe I should talk to Oin...No, he'll take it straight to Thorin. So she decided to reapply her bandage, wipe the sweat off her brow and go back to the group. Bilbo was the first one she saw.
    "Dienna? Are you alright?" He asked looking her over, he could see how ashen she was.
    "Yes, yes I'm fine, just worked up is all." She smiled at her brother, hiding the bandage again. Just as Bilbo was about to say something they heard Thorin call out that he had found the cave where the trolls had stayed. The company moved to that direction, Dienna falling behind a little, she wasn't feeling well at all. Thorin noticed, he didn't understand why, but then he saw the bandage. What did you do, Dienna? And why didn't you say anything when it happened? He wasn't upset with her, no, he was worried. He didn't understand why she would keep a wound a secret.
    Even as he gained his new sword Orcrist, he couldn't stop thinking about her. She kept pushing away every dwarf that tried to talk to her. She even pushed away her brother, that was the most surprising. He needed to do something "Oin!" The older dwarf walked over to the leader, "when dealing with an infection to a wound, how long can it take?"
    "Well it depends, my lord, on size, cleanliness of the thing causing the wound, and how the wound is cleansed and wrapped. But if it's poorly handled, or there was any poison, it could take a mere few hours." Thorin nodded, It's been a few hours since the trolls. Thorin thanked Oin and walked over to Dienna, who was at the mouth of the cave.
    She looked at Thorin as he walked up to her, "The cave reeks," she said, halfheartedly. Everything was taking effort, she was so tired.
    "Let me see your arm." Thorin said, bluntly. Her eyes widened in shock, and she started to hide the arm with the bandage, "Dienna, please, just let me see it." Her jaw clenched, but she gave in and undid the bandage. As soon as he saw it, he knew it was infected. "Oh Dienna."
    "It didn't happen on purpose, Bilbo and I were trying to get the horses and he accidentally cut me and I didn't want to worry yo-" Her eyes rolled back into her head, and she fainted. Thorin caught her and picked her up. Just as he heard something from outside of the cage.
    "Something's coming!" He yelled, still holding Dienna, she opened her eyes just slightly, "It's okay, I've got you. You'll be okay." He only hoped that were true. She nodded feebly and closed her eyes again, leaning her head against his armored chest. She's so small.
    "Dienna!" Bilbo shouted as he saw the state his sister was in. Gandalf noticed the situation. "What happened?" Bilbo asked when he came to her.
    "There's a wound on her arm that got infected. The infection settled quick, and she needs help. But there's something up there." Thorin explained, all the dwarves and hobbit and wizard ran out of the cave, Thorin still carrying Dienna, and they saw Radagast the brown thundering in.
    "Theives! Fire! Murder!" He shouted. Once he got to the group he explained what was happening in Dol Guldor, that there was a Necromancer and then he showed Gandalf a sword that was so old that it was forgotten to all of the world, other than the ones who are immortal. "That is not from the land of the living."
    As he finished his statement, there was a howl. Bilbo looked up, "Wolves, are-are there wolves out there?" He looked at the vulnerable state his sister was in, still cradled into Thorin's chest.
    "Wolves, no, that is not a wolf." Bofur said, the terror in his voice very evident. Above him a snarling warg scout lunged at them. Thorin shielded Dienna, and shouted for Fili and Kili to take out the scouts. Dienna's eyes shot open.
She was terrified of getting raided. He recalled on of those first conversations from the first night, and now she is more vulnerable than she was in the moment, "It's okay, I'm protecting you. Those warg scouts will die before they get to you." He said it, and he meant it. He didn't know why, but he knew that no matter what he had to protect her at all costs. There was a feeling inside him that he didn't know was there. He didn't know he could feel so protective over someone that wasn't family. He didn't understand the warmth he felt when she pressed a little harder into his chest, trusting him. He didn't understand the happiness he felt when she laughed. He didn't understand the worry and guilt he felt knowing that she got hurt, and she didn't think he could tell him. "Dienna, I've got you."
    "Who did you tell about your quest, beyond your kin?" Gandalf questioned Thorin. Gandalf's jaw clenched when he saw Dienna, being made fully aware of how young she actually was.
    "No one," Thorin responded.
    "Who did you tell?!" Gandalf ask/shouted.
    "No one, I swear!" Thorin defended himself, "What in Durin's name is going on?"
    "You are being hunted." The whole company started looking around, hearing all of the other wargs and orcs advancing on them.
    "We have to get out of here," Dwalin said.
    "We can't! We have no ponies. They bolted." Obi said, the company deflated a bit.
    "I'll draw them off," Radagast declared. Everybody looked at him curiously.
    "These are Gundabad wargs. They will outrun you!" Gandalf countered.
    "These are Rhosgobel rabbits. I'd like to see them try." With that he was off, distracting the orc pack.
    "Is the lass going to be okay? Can you take care of her Thorin?" Dwalin asked. All the dwarves looked at their leader. They didn't know if it would be a good idea to keep her, since she was wounded. But Thorin looked at Dienna, she was burning up, she needed medicine, and soon. Then he looked at her brother, the pleading look in his eyes gave him all the answer he needed.
    "I will carry her, she will be my responsibility until we get to somewhere safe." He looked at the other hobbit, "I've got her, Bilbo." The hobbit swallowed and nodded. He was so worried about his sister, but he saw how Thorin cared for her. Bilbo knew that she would be safe.
"Come on! We need to go!" Gandalf called, and the whole company was off.