Chapter 4

Her brother was moved into the living room, still unconscious. Dienna thought that Bilbo had overreacted; nonetheless, he was always like that. She had already given Balin her signed contract, and after he made sure she was completely positive on going on the quest, she was officially part of the company of Thorin Oakenshield. All of the dwarves were just wandering around the hobbit hole. From her seat by the fire, she could see the king sitting alone. Feeling sorry, she got up from her armchair with her book and walked over to Thorin. "May I sit?" she asked, he didn't say anything, just motioned for her to sit. "Do you enjoy reading?" she pushed, all he did was nod, "I thought you'd like this one, it's a collection of all the major events for the dwarves, starting with Aule and how he created the dwarves all the way until the battle of Anizbular." He chuckled.

"It's azanulbizar." he corrected.

"Well, it's very interesting and-" Thorin cut her off.

"I am very well informed of our history," he said, bluntly.

"Oh! But it's one of the most complete collections of the oldest known documents," She lit up as she talked about the history. It baffled Thorin, that someone who is not a dwarf cared so much about their legends. She probably knew all of the histories of Middle-Earth, "If you want, I can lend it to you," she held out the book to him.

"No, it's alright, I know the lore. I was taught in great detail," he politely declined, smiling.

"Oh, alright, I'm sorry," Dienna was disappointed. She thought that he would want the book, but it was okay. She only wanted a friend, "I'll leave you."

Thorin spoke up, liking her company, "No, you don't need to go. Tell me about what you know."

"I thought you were 'taught in great detail,'" she smirked at the king.

"Think of it as fact checking," Thorin smiled as the young hobbit giggled. And she was off. Starting from the Old Times, and every once in a while Thorin would correct her. He would tell her the truth of what the history was. She talked about many battles, but stopped when it came to Smaug, "Why did you stop?"

"Smaug is going to be the main subject of this quest, I didn't know if you'd want to be reminded of him," she blushed at how long she'd been talking, slightly embarrassed at her book smarts.

"No, please, keep going. I quite enjoy listening to your-" he noticed her attention shifted to her brother walking down the tunnel.

"Excuse me," she said before getting up and jogging around her brother. "Bilbo, wait up!" he stopped right before getting to his room. "Are you excited for this quest? We get to go on a real adventure!"

Bilbo looked at the brightness and excitement in her eyes, he felt horrible that he was about to crush his sister's dreams, "I'm not going, and neither are you." Dienna stepped away from Bilbo.

"What?" her heart sank.

"We're not going on this quest, if I lose you..." Bilbo shuddered, "I don't know what I'd do."

"But I already signed the contract!" she protested.

"Well, unsigned it!" he shouted. Dienna flinched at her brother's outburst, "I'm sorry," he took a breath, "Dienna, I know this is a dream of yours, but you can't go. They can't promise that you will come back, I need you in Bag-End" she began to cry, Bilbo tried to pull her into a hug. She backed away.

"Bilbo, I'm going on this journey. I may be a Baggins of Bag-End, but I am a Took in my soul. I love you Bilbo, but I am going, and you can't stop me. I am sorry, my brother." She left Bilbo in his room. Walking to the living room, she wiped her eyes to hide the fact that she was crying. She saw the dwarves gathered in the room, but Thorin was still alone. He was nearest to the fire and, she didn't know why, but she hated seeing the dwarf alone.

"Are you going to follow your brother?" Thorin asked as Dienna entered the room. All of the others looked up to see her answer.

"No, I want to help all of you, in anyway I can," she answered. "I can't imagine what you must feel. If I can help you get back to your homeland, then I will," all of the companions smiled at her and Thorin put a hand on her shoulder in thanks. He was about a head taller than her, so it forced her to tilt her head up to smile in gratitude. That's when she had an idea, "Can you tell me about the dragon?" Her eagerness made the king smile. He looked at his kin then back at the fire, and started singing:

Far over the Misty Mountains cold.

To dungeons deep and caverns old.

We must away ere break of day.

To find our long forgotten gold.

The others joined in singing:The pines were roaring on the height,

the winds were moaning in the night.

The fire was red, it flaming spread.

The trees like torches, blazed with light.

While they sang, Dienna sat there in complete awe. They were amazing. She could feel herself get emotional when they sang. It was their homeland getting destroyed and how they lost it. It also told of how they needed to reclaim it. When they finished, she smiled like an idiot. The dwarves looked at Dienna, but all her attention was on the king in front of her. Thorin saw the wonder in her eyes, and smiled down at her. "That was," she breathed, unable to find the words, "That was beautiful." She couldn't say enough about how much she loved the song, she knew that she would always remember it as well.

He dipped his head in thanks, then he turned to his kin. "We leave in the morning."