Chapter 2

All the dwarves started raiding the pantry. Dienna was assisting them, while Bilbo was stopping them. She laughed with all of the dwarves' merriment. Gandalf, she saw, was counting all of them, and she went up to him.

"Is this the company you were talking about?" She smiled up at the wizard.

"Yes," he went back to his thoughts, "We appear to be one dwarf short."

"He is late is all, he travelled north to a meeting with our kin, he will come," Dwalin answered Gandalf.

"Who will come?" Dienna asked. Whoever "he" was, "he" sounded very important.

"You will see soon enough." Gandalf answered. Dienna left to go sit at the table with the dwarves. They were very messy, but, for some reason, Dienna was enjoying it.

Bofur, a dwarf with a funny hat, yelled at his brother, "Bombur, catch!" He threw a hard-boiled egg and the large dwarf caught it in his mouth. Everyone, including Diena, laughed and cheered. 

Fili started walking on the table with many mugs of ale. He offered one to Dienna, "Here you are, little one."

"Oh! No thank you, I'm quite alright with tea," she smiled and politely declined. Unlike many hobbits, Dienna did not enjoy any alcohol.

"Come on, bright eyes!" Nori said, the others chimed in. Dienna laughed and took the ale; however, she did not drink when the others did. No, she was pulled out of the dining room by her brother.

"Bilbo! I was having fun!" she whined.

"You never drink! They're a bad influence on you!" Though she was nearing maturity, she was still a little girl in Bilbo's eyes. He swore on his mother's deathbed that he would keep her safe, and if that meant keeping her away from these dwarves, so be it.

"I can drink, and I have!" she pulled her arm out of his grasp. "I'm not a child!"

"You surely are acting like one," Bilbo said.

"Seriously! You're being ridicu-" she was cut off by a giant belch. The two hobbits turned around and saw Ori sit down. Bilbo was disgusted while Dienna started laughing. "See? They're harmless," she paused, "most of the time," she smirked at her brother's terrified expression before rejoining the meal.

"So, lass, Gandalf says you're sneaky," Bofur said.

"Well, I don't know about that, but sometimes I can sneak around my brother. But he always finds me at the edge of the Shire," she smiled.

"You've never left?" Ori asked.

"No, I've wanted to. Just to see what's out there. I got close to Bree, got as far as Buckleberry Ferry!" she was very please with herself, but the dwarves snickered. "What?"

"Nothing, little one." Fili answered, still giggling.

"I'm not that little!" she stated.

"Then how old are ye?" Oin inquired.

"20!" They all continued laughing, "What?!"

"That's very little to us," Kili said.

"Well you can't be much older than me!" she shot back, he didn't look too much older than her.

"You're right," she looked smug, "I'm 77." Dienna was taken aback, but laughed with the others. The dwarves all finished their food, and started to get up from the table. Dienna guided them around the hobbit hole. 

Nori came walking into the parlor with a doily, Bilbo came running in and grabbed it, "Excuse me, that is a doily, not a dish cloth."

"But it's full of holes!" Bofur exclaimed, making Dienna laugh, earning her a wink from him.

"It's supposed to look like that, it's crochet," Bilbo said, very matter-of-factly. Dienna could see him trying to control his temper.

"Oh, and a wonderful game it is too, if you've got the balls for it," everyone, except Bilbo, started laughing.

"Bebother and confusticate these dwarves!" Dienna went to her brother, after his little blow up.

"That's not very nice," she told him.

"I don't care."

"My dear Bilbo, what on earth is the matter?" Gandalf asked, walking into the room.

"There's a lot of visitors who are messing up his perfect hobbit hole," Dienna said, lightly punching his arm.

"Look! You're turning into a dwarf too," he said.

"No...I'm much too short for it," she smirked before leaving the parlor. She ran into Fili, "Oh! Hello."

"Dienna, just the perfect person! We need your help," Fili said as Kili walked up behind him. There was a mischievous grin glint in their eyes.

"We need to know what to do to clean up. But we also want to prank your brother," Kili said.

Dienna smiled, "Here's what you need to do..." She knew that the dwarves were excellent catches and their aim is unchallenged. They were also gentle with their hands, so Dienna relayed the plan to Fili and Kili, who told it to the other dwarves. Ori was first, so he could set the plan in motion. He went up to Bilbo.

"Excuse me, I hate to interrupt, but what should I do with my plate?" Dienna nodded to Fili.

He went into the room and said, "Here you go, Ori, give it to me." Fili took the plate and threw it to Kili and all the dwarves at the table started to beat the knives on it in a rhythm.

"Excuse me, can you not do that, you'll blunt them," Bilbo asked, trying to be polite. 

"Ooh, d'you hear that, lads? He says we'll blunt the knives..." Bofur said, knowingly.

That's when Kili starts singing, "Blunt the knives, bend the forks"

Fili joined in, "Smash the bottles and burn the corks!"

Soon all the dwarves started singing and throwing dishes and silverware:

Chip the glasses and crack the plates

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates

Cut the cloth, tread on the fat

Leave the bones on the bedroom mat

Pour the milk on the pantry floor

Splash the wine on every door

Dump the crooks in a boiling bowl

Pound them up with a thumping pole

When you're finished, if they are whole

Send them down the hall to roll

The dwarves stopped singing, but Bofur continues playing his flute, so Dienna started to dance with the dwarves. Then, in the kitchen, when the dishes were clean, they all finished the song with a final:

That's what Bilbo Baggins hates!

All the dwarves were laughing, none harder than Dienna. It was about time for Bilbo to loosen up, "That was your sister's plot, that was!" Bofur shouted. Dienna smirked at her older brother.

"Don't be rude to my friends," was all she said, and she could swear there was a ghost of a smile on Bilbo's lips before there was a thudding at the door.

"He is here," Gandalf said, darkly. It was the mystery man from earlier.

"I'll get it!" Dienna nearly fell as she ran to the door and opened it to a very majestic dwarf with two braids in his dark hair. He wore run under his cloak signifying his high status, "I'm sorry, I must have come to the wrong house." His voice was deep with a slight rasp to it. 

"Well, um, there are many dwarves here," Dienna said playing with her long curls, "If that's, um, who you're looking for." Curse her Baggins' awkwardness, she suddenly couldn't speak around this dwarf, "Um, Dienna Baggins, at your service," she said as she awkwardly curtsied.

The kingly dwarf smiled and bowed, never taking his eyes off Dienna, "Thorin Oakenshielf, at yours'."