Chapter 3

The dwarf and the hobbit stayed silent for a small amount of time. Before she heard someone behind her, she moved to join the others, "Gandalf, I thought you said this place would be easy to find. I lost my way, twice. I wouldn't have found it at all had in not been for that mark on the door," the dwarf, Thorin, spoke as he took off his cloak. The status of him was unequal next to the rest of the dwarves. His clothes were a little nicer, his armor looked a bit stronger, but it was his eyes that were the most interesting to Dienna. They showed that he was wise beyond his years, but they also showed immense pain. Above all, they showed hope. Hope for whatever this adventure was.

Dienna was brought back to reality as Bilbo spoke, "Mark? There is no mark on that door, it was painted a week ago!" he looked at Dienna.

"Yes, I'm the one who painted it," she turned to Fili, whom she was standing next to and whispered, "Took me twice as long as it should have because I would 'miss a spot,'" Fili chuckled, earning Dienna a disappointed look from Gandalf.

"There is a mark, I put it there myself. Bilbo and Dienna Baggins, allow me to introduce the leader of our company: Thorin Oakenshield." The dwarf walked up to the two of them and observed. They were not what he expected, at all.

"So, these are the hobbits," Thorin said as he walked in a circle around them. "Tell me Mr. Baggins, have you done much fighting?" he asked, completely ignoring Dienna.

"Pardon me?" Bilbo looked to his sister, who was just as confused.

"Axe or sword? What's your weapon of choice?" Thorin asked Bilbo, yet again, Dienna was left out.

"Well, I do have some skill in conkers, if you must know," Dienna looked down and snorted at her older brother, "but I fail to see why that's relevant."

Dienna took her chance, "I taught myself how to use a bow when I was younger. I can hit a bullseye 200 yards away," this earned a few "oohs" from the dwarves, Thorin looked intrigued, Bilbo looked bewildered, "What else was I supposed to do when I found Bullroarer Took's old bow?" Bilbo smiled and shook his head, ever the adventurer, he thought to himself.

"This one could be useful," Thorin gestured to her, "The other, well, he looks more like a grocer than a burglar," he was talking about Bilbo, while the other dwarves laughed.

Dienna saw a pained look go over Bilbo's face when all the dwarves turned around to go back to the dining room. She couldn't believe the kingly dwarf had insulted her brother, especially when the others went with it after being kind, well at least not rude, to Bilbo all evening. "Hey!" she shouted to get the dwarves' attention. "Now, look, I know you are different than hobbits, but one thing stays the same," Dienna took a breath as Bilbo protested.

"Dienna-"

"No! He insulted you, I will not have it! Nobody insults my brother while I'm around, otherwise they have to deal with me!" she huffed as all the dwarves looked at her in shock, especially Thorin. He did not expect such a temper from this little hobbit. "Deal?" she added.

Thorin smirked, "Deal," was all he said before continuing to the dining room.

"Thank you," Bilbo whispered and smiled at her, which she smiled back. Once they sat down, Dienna brought Thorin some left over soup from earlier. He nodded his thanks and the hobbit smiled back.

She was slightly embarrassed at her little outburst earlier, so was Bilbo, but he was very grateful. His sister always had a hot-head when it came to him. She was overprotective of him, as he was with her. "I'll be back, I want to get a book," Bilbo nodded as she skipped down the tunnel to her room. He chuckled at his sister, she was still a little girl in his eyes. She emerged a moment later and they rejoined to company.

They caught the tail end of the dwarves' conversation, "They think this quest is ours' and ours' alone," Thorin spoke, disappointed flooded the room.

"You're going on a quest?" Bilbo questioned. Dienna sighed and giggled to her brother. Of course they were going on a quest. She sat down next to Fili and Kili, who she'd become immediate friends with, and started reading.

"Bilbo, my dear fellow, let us have a little more light," Bilbo followed Gandalf's request as the wizard spoke, "Far to the east, over ranges and rivers, beyond woodlands and wastelands, lies a single solitary peak."

Dienna knew exactly which mountain it was from the old stories she read, "The Lonely Mountain," she said, not looking up from her book, "It is the mountain that houses the kingdom of Erebor," she continued, still reading. Unbeknownst to her all the dwarves looked at her in surprise.

Gloin was the first to talk, "Aye, Oin has read the portents and the portents say: it is time!"

Oin piped in next, "Raven's have been seen flying back to the mountain as it was foretold. When the birds of yore return to Erebor, the reign of the beast will end," Dienna popped her head up. She knew of the legend, it was one of her absolute favorites, she was always fascinated with dragons.

"Um...what beast?" Bilbo asked from the pantry.

"Smaug the terrible," Dienna said without a thought. As Bofur continued to speak about Smaug, Fili looked down at her.

"You are a surprise, little one," he pulled on a strand of her hair as she beamed up at him as Ori piped up.

"I'm not afraid, I'm up for it, I'll give him a taste of dwarvish iron right up his jacksie!" Dienna laughed and went back to her book, becoming completely immersed in it.

She'd recognised the name: Thorin Oakenshield. The book she was reading was about the Battle of Azanulbizar, which was outside of Moria. Azog had killed King Thror and Thrain II had gone missing. She'd read his name their when he fought the orc with an oaken branch as his only shield. She'd read about how he was a her, and now how he was the direct heir to the throne of Erebor. She looked up from her book and saw him, the king he was.

He'd stopped the large argument that had broken out, "If we have read these signs, do you not think others will have read them too? Rumors have begun to spread. The dragon Smaug has not been seen for sixty years. Eyes look East to the mountain, assessing, wondering, weighing the risk. Perhaps the vast wealth of our people now lies unprotected. Do we sit back while others claim what is rightfully ours? Or do we seize this chance to take back Erebor?" Though she was not a dwarf, she was inspired with them all. He was a king, even without the throne. She sat in wonder at the dwarf. She tuned out everything around her as she looked from Gandalf back to Thorin, two heroes of her stories.

"Are you two?" Oin suddenly asked to Bilbo and Dienna, snapping her from her trance.

"Are we what?" they asked at the same time.

"They said they're experts!" Oin laughed.

Dienna turned to Kili, "What are you talking about?"

"How you both are burglars," Kili said. Dienna looked at the dark-haired dwarf, confused. "You did say earlier that you were sneaky."

"Yes, I guess I did." She answered as Gandalf grew very large.

"Enough! If I say Bilbo an Dienna Baggins are burglars, burglars they are. Hobbits are remarkably light on their feet. In fact, they can pass unseen by most, if they choose. And, while the dragon is accustomed to the smell of Dwarf... ...the scent of a Hobbit is all but unknown to him... ...which gives us a distinct advantage. You asked me to find the 14th and 15th member of this company and I have chosen the Bagginses. There's a lot more to them than appearances suggest. And they've got a great deal more to offer than any of you know. Including themselves. You've already accepted Dienna, accept Bilbo as well. You must trust me on this." Gandalf had surprised Dienna, he chose those two specifically.

"Very well, we'll do it your way. Give them the contracts," Thorin said and Balin gave them both their contracts. He briefly explained what they entailed, and the hobbits began reading. Lots of scary ideas were written, but they didn't scare Dienna. Unlike Bilbo, who asked what incineration was

"Think furnace with wings. Flash of light, searing pain, then poof! You're nothing more than a pile of ash!" This excited Dienna, who signed it straight away. A real adventure!!

Bilbo, however...

"Nope," was all he said as he fainted.