GI oc 2

The night fell faster than expected, and Kaori was no longer able to see well. Even if the round moon glittered, its pale, silver light absorbing each corner and creating pitch black shadows where it couldn't reach here and there, it was too dark. She needed to be aware of every detail if she didn't want to get lost. She ordered them to set a camp right next to one of the only trees that somehow had grown in the plain landscape, placing a few branches she had found earlier in the middle of them and lighting a fire easily with her Pyro Vision. She was grateful for some instants, because none of them had asked about her having two elements, but her relief lasted less than a bottle of Dandelion Wine in a Mondstadt bar.

"You have two Visions?", the Fatui rested his face on his palm, both his elbows on his knees, his eyes filled with vile curiosity. "How come?"

"None of your business", she said harshly, her eyes hypnotized with the fire's bronze flames. She wrapped her arms around herself, getting closer to the heat source. It was amazing, truly, how such a hot place in the day could be such a cold one at night.

"Isn't it, really?", he insisted, receiving an annoyed glance as an answer. "Rumor has it, you killed your partner to have more power against the Fatui".

A painful wrath arose from Kaori's throat like spines, and she gulped it back, closing her eyes with force. She wasn't going to give him what he wanted. She wasn't going to lose control.

"Get your nose outta my personal life", she ordered throwing as much disgust as she could to every word, green eyes shining dangerously like a predator gazes at its prey under the moonlight.

"Alright", he gave in after some seconds under Kaori's glower, smile never wiping off his face, "Anyone hungry?".

Paimon nodded energetically, her lips turning upwards to the idea of eating. "Yes, please!"

"Why don't you go and fetch us some meat, Harbinger?", Kaori requested, but it sounded more like an order.

"I'm not exactly a cook, Fatui Killer", he excused, his eyelids barely open.

"I didn't say you had to cook. I'll do it, but I'm not in the mood to hunt". She felt her stomach shrink painfully, begging for food. She had forgotten to eat before parting, and the thought of eating hurt. With this much hunger, she didn't find the energy to insult him, and analyzing the words she had just said, maybe she had sounded a bit too nice. She looked away, pretending she hadn't seen the boy's confused but pleased expression. "If you say something, I will reconsider not putting poison in your food or killing you in your sleep".

        Childe chuckled, waving a hand as he gave them his back and walked away. She didn't even know how he planned on hunting something this close to the border, they had hardly seen any animals on their way there. But she trusted his will to survive. She at least had to give them that; the Fatui were well trained soldiers, perfect for extreme conditions, and they were taught to find food even in the hardest places. Back in Snezhnaya, where everything is ice and snow, animals weren't abundant. Snezhnayan people had to learn how to locate them and hunt them, so Kaori thought Childe could do that but in a less... cold weather.

"Kaori-san?", the Traveller's barely heard voice reached her ears, making her snap out of her thoughts and look at him with interest, humming in response. "I know you didn't want to tell Childe, but..."

"If it's about the Visions, I'm sorry but I can't answer your query", she interrupted, feeling the boy's gaze lower, a sad expression on his face. A ray of guilt hit her like an arrow, and she suddenly felt like she was being too much of an asshole. "...But, what I can tell you, is why I hate the Fatui so much. I'm willing to do that one thing, because I know how it feels to lose someone you care for. By the way, I hope you find your sister" she added with an honest smile, almost not visible because of the darkness. The boy nodded, excitement lighting up his eyes. "It's uh... kind of a long story, so get comfy."