Longing - One Piece (AceSan)

Portgas D. Ace.

   Some knew him as "Fire Fist" Ace. That one young pirate boy who had really quickly made a name of himself in the world. The captain of the Spade pirates. The commander of the Whitebeard pirates' second division. Monkey D. Luffy's older brother. Gol D. Roger's son. The extremely powerful guy who had lost a fight against the even more powerful Blackbeard. The man that was moving the world just by the fact that he had been captured by the Marines. The pirate whose execution was said to make an immense impact in the whole world and break a new dawn in the pirate era.

   A ruthless pirate to the common folk. A fierce opponent to his enemies. A respectable man to his crew.  A caring person to his friends. A loving brother, son, and grandson.

   To Sanji... to Sanji, he was... everything.

   And as to why, Sanji still didn't know. It's not like Ace were different than the rest. He didn't know him for long. He didn't have anything special.

   Oh, but he did.

   And Sanji knew it full well. Maybe better than anyone else. Hell, maybe better than Luffy himself.

   It was a mystery to Sanji why he'd felt like they had clicked from the moment they saw each other for the first time, that exact moment when he appeared out of nowhere and lit up Sanji's cigarette. His body language, the way he spoke so kindly and politely, the way he offered to help with chores, they were all things Sanji wasn't used to —at least from a man. He was different. He was an important and feared pirate, and yet he always put others before himself. He had a higher title, and was also their senior, and yet he always had this attitude of serving others.

"You must be popular with the ladies, Sanji" he commented as he jumped to sit on the tabletop next to where Sanji was washing the dishes. "You kind of look like a prince."

     The cook felt something turn inside his stomach at that comment, but he ignored it. There was no way Ace knew about that. He blew raspberry, "It hurts for someone like you to say that. I would be popular with the ladies if the Marines had a good photographer...!"

     Ace laughed at Sanji's pained expression.

"What do you mean «like me»? I'm just some guy in Whitebeard's crew"

"...Right" Sanji frowned at him, strong sarcastic tone on his voice. He lowered his face to stare at a dirty pan, scrubbing hard with the sponge. "I'm pretty sure you could pull anyone you wanted and they'd be delighted to have you."

   The cook, immersed in getting some burnt bits off of the frying pan, didn't notice Ace's eyebrows raise or his cocky smile.

"Then, think I could pull you?"

"Hm?" Sanji raised his head again, clueless, "Why'd you wanna pull me? You wanna fight?"

     Ace stared blankly at him and blinked twice. Then, he broke into laughter, holding his stomach with both hands and leaving Sanji twice as confused.

"You're a really funny guy, cook" he complimented him with a wide smile.

     Sanji couldn't help but smile and blush a little at that.

     Ace had shown actual interest in Sanji's life, his hobbies and passions, likes and dislikes, fun and sad stories... He had even promised to come back again. Not to his little brother. No, not to Luffy. To him. To some cook who had made him food and chatted with him for a while.

   Sanji remembered staring at him, perplexed, when he'd heard him say that.

"I reaaaaally want to stay here and chat with you more, Sanji, but it's already so late. I should've left, like, hours ago", he excused himself as he stood up from the wooden table in the Merry's kitchen, taking his hat off and bowing. "It's been a pleasure meeting you. I absolutely adored your cooking, my lil' bro was real damn lucky to find you!"