Chapter 1

Korra handed the latte over the counter to the older customer. "Have yourself a nice day." She gave a warm and bright smile and turned back to the register to help the next person. It was nearing around noon and she was growing a bit weary from not having a break. She had started an earlier shift, and she was starting to feel it in her feet. 

There were a few customers spread out in the small cafe. Most came in on their way to work, or on a lunch break. Korra let out a small sigh of fatigue and Bolin came over from the drive thru. "You can head on break, you're looking a bit tired and didn't you come in at 6:00?" He asked and raised his thick eyebrow. He worried that one day Korra would pass out from over exhaustion, but here she was, pushing herself shift after shift. She was stubborn and a hard worker, it only became worrisome when she refused to take a day off. 

"Thanks, I'll be back in a little." She gave a look of thanks to Bolin who was pulling the microphone back down closer to his mouth to address the cars. He got back to work and Korra made herself a coffee and headed back into the break room with a carrot muffin. 

After her break, Korra headed back out to the floor, adjusting her apron and name tag. Her eyes travelled up from her bubbly name tag to the greenest eyes she had ever witnessed, they were familiar. It would have stopped her in her tracks if her stride hadn't been so strong. The woman who stood near the counter gave a closed mouth smile with her dainty red lips. The woman stepped closer to the counter, then her eyes roamed over the menu, taking their time in reading nearly everything. "Hi, can I get a grande dark roast, just black? K-Korra?" The woman's voice was kind, but it held a level of assertiveness, as it trailed with question and shock. She was wearing black ripped jeans, and a black and burgundy button up, her hair down in its raven waves, and a dirty pair of grey work boots accompanied her feet. Korra felt under-dressed in just her blue jeans and navy knit sweater. Korra rocked on her heels a little, she hadn't heard a thing this woman said, she watched her mouth move but she felt as if she had shifted into another plane. 

It had been three whole years since she had seen Asami. After falling ill from being poisoned and kidnapped, she stayed in the water nation where she healed up and finally pulled herself out of her depression and was able to walk again. As a total comeback, Korra decided to move back to Republic city. She wound up getting a job and starting a normal life. Not that she was giving up on being the Avatar, she never would. But it was nice to integrate back into society with a normal job, and Bolin was a major help in securing her a position. 

Korra stood in shock, she hadn't been expecting today out of any to finally see her in the flesh. 

"Hello? Is that okay? I don't mind ordering something else if I-" The woman smirked knowing the barista was off in another world. 

"What? Oh, I'm so sorry! Yes, black dark roast.." Korra cut the her off accidentally, and tapped the order into the screen. She turned and grabbed a cup and began filling it. Bolin peeked around the corner and wiggled his eyebrows knowingly. 

"Korra watch!" Bolin tried to stop her before her hand poured over the brim of the cup, flowing hot scalding coffee onto her free hand. His eyes widened at the sight of redness that overtook her hand and cheeks, they almost matched. Well shit. Smooth, good going Kor. Korra swore to herself. "Are you okay? What happened?" He asked as he handed her a towel and began cleaning the edge of the counter.