Chapter 18

After a nice night of rest and preparation, they grabbed coffee on their way downtown. Thankfully there was a portal close by, otherwise; they would have had to travel to the North or South Pole. While they would have gladly made the commute, that would be a longer trip and Korra wondered just how many pairs of underwear that would require. 

As Korra got out of the car she went around to the back and opened the trunk. She was aware that Asami had gotten out and she felt assured when she looked over to Asami who looked half dazed, most likely from their early morning. But then her eyes focused on where Asami’s could be looking and she deduced it to be her bicep showing under her rolled shirt sleeves. Korra smirked. “Do you need a hand with your bags? I can take another.” she said softly in the dew morning air she breathed in. 

This earned a playful scoff from Asami, but then Korra could see the way she was smiling and thinking, most likely devising some sort of plan in that gorgeous head of hers. Then Asami smiled in that knowing little smile and look that had Korra wondering just what she was thinking. Her red lips parted in response. “Actually, yes. That would be a lot of help. Thank you baby.” She cooed up at Korra and Korra knew in the way she buttered her up that she had planned for her to take an extra bag. She just couldn’t figure out why. 

Korra knew what she could do. She added Asami’s bag to her arm that had already been carrying her own bag. Her arm flexed as more weight was added. “Of course love. Can you grab our coffee and stuff from the front?” she grunted lightly as she raised her more free arm that only had one bag on it to close the trunk, going up on her tippy toes and pulling it closed. She watched Asami grab their drinks and joined her at the back of the car again. 

They both looked out towards the park and the spirit portal. It always looked so interesting up close. The area surrounding the portal and the light that emitted from the various spirits jumping around back and forth in and out of the spirit world was a light green colour but it was also translucent. It was as if you were getting a glimpse into another world-because you were. The cuts were more like shards of light that refracted off of one another and looked almost like a kaleidoscope. It had been a while since either of them had been back in the spirit world or even this close to the portal. It has become a big attraction in Republic City. They were lucky to be there with less tourists. 

Korra led them to the edge, looking at the beams that shot into the sky. Her eyes were back on Asami as she snaked a hand around her slim waist and pulled her close. It earned a look of slight concern of being seen and the surprise of the contact made her gasp a little. “Korra, what if someone sees?” she said, getting a little flushed. 

“Baby, it is the asscrack of dawn, Bolin was still half asleep making our coffees. No one is going to care. I’m not going to do what we did a few nights ago. Not here. That’s a little too public for my liking.” she pulled her close and kissed her, practically smooshing her words into her lips as if locking in a secret. “What we do together like that is for you and I. '' she whispered and moved her hand down into Asami’s. She looked over at her radiant green eyes and gave her hand a squeeze. 

“I know, sorry. I’m just not used to everyone being comfortable with this.” Asami said looking back into her crystalline blue ones. 

With Asami’s hand now threaded in hers they took a few steps into the green light, the duller world around them transitioning through what looked like cuts of glass, shimmering and cutting into their world. Almost as if a beautiful glitch was forming this paradise. As they stepped through, the area around them became brighter. The grass blowing in the wind at their feet; greener. The sky; the most vibrant blue with soft fluffy white clouds. All sorts of animal spirits were chasing one another through the fields of tulips and various other flowers. Some even began to prance and dance around their feet.