Chapter 8:

The sun beamed in across the floor of Asami’s bedroom. It scattered along the floor and across the bed. Korra’s eyes opened and she let out a yawn. A brief moment of confusion crossed her features until she slowly sat up and looked beside her. Asami was soundfully asleep, her porcelain skin contrasting against the black sheets and duvet. Even while asleep, she was the most gorgeous creature Korra had ever seen. Her ravenous locks delicately sprawled around her head, on the pillow and over her semi-covered chest. The blankets were pulled up and cradled her collarbone. 

Korra stretched her arms out and let out a sigh. She leaned over and brushed a stray piece of hair out of Asami’s face. This was the peace she longed for. The peace and quiet around them, the sun highlighting what she was eternally grateful for. She leaned down and pressed a kiss to Asami’s lips. They were still as soft and plump as ever. 

Asami stirred a little, her green eyes opened and batted, her green irises pushed by her dilating pupils. Her long black eyelashes fluttered against her cheeks. “Morning.” she raspily said. She reached out her arms and quickly pulled Korra down into her, wrapping her in a hug. 

“Good morning.” Korra cooed. Both of their voices were deeper and held a grainy morning tone. They sat there for a long minute, silence encasing them in a small bubble. Their eyes fixed on one another. 

Asami broke the silence. “Did you sleep well?” she sat up, the sheet fell down and exposed her chest. Littered along her breasts and down her abdomen were clear marks made from Korra, which reminded her that the events of the night prior did in fact happen. 

Korra smiled and quickly pecked a kiss on her lips. “Yes, the best sleep I’ve probably ever had.” she gleamed. Asami leaned closer, caressing Korra’s cheek. 

“Me too. I’m sorry for last night..” Asami averted her eyes with a little hint of hurt. 

“I told you that you didn’t need to apologize. There’s no changing what happened, and I’m glad I was here. There’s no scaring me away, no matter how hard you try.” she gave a reassuring smile and put her tan finger under Asami’s chin and turned her head to look back at her. “Besides, it’s just a little bump.” She tried to make light of the injury. 

“Korra, you had to get stitches, it wasn’t just a little scratch or bump.” Asami’s voice was very serious. “He hurt you, he’s an awful person. I never wanted you to see this..” tears welled in her eyes. 

“I want to see every side of you, the good, the bad, the ugly. I want to see it all. It pained me knowing you were living your life, having fun, sharing your smile with the world while I was bed ridden for three years. I wanted more than anything to be the one who got to see that.” Korra’s voice didn’t waver. She was confident in her feelings and was finally capable of articulating those emotions that she kept pent up while she was in recovery. “As bad as things were, you gave me light, and hope. Each letter with your writing. You kept me grounded. I just want to give that back, to let you know you aren’t alone despite how alone you might feel.” 

Asami’s eyes let go of a few tears, they fell down her cheeks and patted against the duvet. “Baby.. I..” for once, she was rendered speechless. She didn’t know that the letters shared between them also brought Korra peace of mind and happiness. She had of course kept each one, she had tucked them away in her desk. Some nights she sat at her desk, re-reading over them and remembering how much she wished she could have been at Korra’s side. Holding her hand, helping her with physio. To be there with her for every step. She clung onto those letters like her life depended on it. 

Korra took Asami’s hands in her own. She brought her pale knuckles up to her lips and kissed them. “I mean it. I don’t know where I would be if we hadn’t kept in touch.”