Chapter 9: confused

Julia p.o.v

I was in the middle of a important meeting, when my phone went off. Normally I would ignore it and put it on mute. But I saw Dennis of the Rehabilitation of Children Programme called. It was now over a year since we signed us up as adoption parents.

For a long time, we tried to get a child of our own. Unfortunately, with even help of technology, I never got pregnant. So, after five years to go from disappointment to disappointment, my husband and I decided to adopt a child. The hospital directed us to this programme.

I excused myself and answered my phone. "Julia Dolivo speaking."

"Mrs. Dolivo, this is Dennis from the Rehabilitation of Children Programme speaking. I'm calling regarding a possible adoption."

"A possible adoption?" I didn't care for pleasantries, I'm a businesswoman and I want to cut to the chase.

"Yes, possible. But this time possible means if you are interested or not in the child. You two are first choice, so if you want the child you can adopt her."

This made me so happy. After six years we will finally have a little one running through our home. The last two times we were either third or second choice. My cold demeanour changed into a warm one.

"Well, that is incredibly good to hear. When can we meet her?"

"She went just through the procedure and now she needs some rest. Her name is Lexi, and she is two years old. Can we set up an appointment for next Thursday, I do not mind at which time you can meet?"

"One moment, I will check my agenda." I opened my agenda on my phone and saw I did not have any important meetings that day. "Yes, sound alright to me, I will have to discuss at which time we meet. Is it okay with you to call you tomorrow about that matter?"

"Yes, then I will hear from you tomorrow. Have a nice day Mrs. Dolivo."

"Yes, you too Dennis." I hung up with a smile on my face. I walked back into my meeting, hoping I could round it up quickly so I could call Peter and tell him the great news. We were getting a daughter.

Lexi p.o.v

My mind was fuzzy. What happened? Why did I feel so weird? I opened my eyes but shut them immediately. The light was too bright. After a short while I opened them again. Again, the bright light hitting my eyes. My vision was blurry.

After blinking a couple of times, I saw my surroundings. I was laying down in a crib. Next to me was my zebra stuffie. What happened? I felt a sudden wave of panic washing over me and the only way of me expressing it was crying.

I managed to sit up and cried only harder. I was so scared. What was happening to me? Why was I like this? Why did I not remember a thing?

More and more tears escaped my eyes. Somebody help!

I heard something, or rather someone. Suddenly a woman stood next to my crib. "Hello dear, it's okay. You are safe, you are safe." She had picked me up and put me on her hip. She bounced me up and down to calm me.

Then a familiar man walked into the room. "D-Dennis?" I said very badly. "Dennis!" I made grabby hands to him. I needed someone who I knew, someone who I could trust.

"Sssh, Lexi, it's alright," I put my arms around his neck and hold him tightly. He was my only source of assurance. Dennis sat down on the couch in the room and hold me against him. He rubbed my back and said soothing words to me. With him comforting me caused me to fall asleep again.

Dennis p.o.v

Every time a child woke up after the procedure, they all acted differently. Some acted like the age the were regressed to and never showed any signs of once being a teenager. Some acted only short after the adoption like a teenager again because of the big change in their surroundings. Some did not act their age of their regressed body yet and with them you had to ease them in their younger state of mine of their new body.

The later was the case with Lexi. She did not act like a two-year-old but did not know what happened. Sometimes they would never know and regressed to their age, some would remember. If that was the case, well, let us say you had a lot of work on your hands to regress them mentally as well.

Unfortunately, for us, the last possible scenario was the case with Lexi. She had constantly these tantrums when she knew what was happening around her. Then after a nap or her nighttime sleep she would act like her proper age of a two-year-old.

It truly was a roller coaster with Lexi. I only hoped she would behave when her possible adoption parents would come. 

A/N: I know this chapter is shorter than usual. It is because my exam is coming up and I don't have much time to write. So the next days I will probably write one chapter a day or nothing. 

I promise after Thurseday I will upload as much as possible. 

Thanks for reading and stay safe!