Chapter 21: worries

Peter p.o.v

It had almost been a week after our fight and Julia and I still not made up. She thought I was still overreacting. I had suggested she would come home earlier so we could both pick up Lexi from the day care. That way she could she how much our little girl longed for us and how miserable she was over there.

Again, Julia started with her speech Lexi had to learn to be independent. The moment she gave that argument I did not listen to her any longer, as she did not want to see the problem at hand here.

Only I had to come with a solution because Mrs. Jones and I now thought that interacting with the others was the biggest problem. And not interacting with others meant she was more likely to miss us. So, I opted the classroom change to Julia to compromise. Again, she was against my idea. Saying that would make it worse. She was only pushing my ideas to the side but did not come with her own.

Today again I had to leave a crying Lexi at the day care. It broke my heart to see her like that. If Julia would not come up with a solution I would because this can not continue.

Just after my lunch break, I got a call, a call from the day care. Mrs. Jones sounded distressed, "I'm sorry Mr. Dolivo but I have to inform you that Lexi is missing."

Lexi p.o.v

Daddy had again left me. The other kids did not play with me. I just sat there being bored. I looked outside at the bugs who were flying around. They looked funny. I could not wait until we could go outside.

After our lunch we could play outside. I run in an instant to the door, wanting to see my friends, the bugs. I giggled. Bugs, funny word. I chased them, touched them and watched them. Then I saw an opening in the gate. Maybe I could go to daddy instead him coming to me.

That sounded like a good plan. I stood up and dusted of my dress. I run to the gate and start my search for daddy and mommy. I walked and walked but did not see daddy or mommy. Where did they go?

Help.

I looked and looked, daddy and mommy where gone. They had left me. Help. I want daddy and mommy. Tears made their way down on my cheeks. I stopped my search. I sat down on the pavement. A ladybug was walking on the ground. I held my finger against it, hoping she would climb up my finger.

She did. I giggled. It tickled when she walked. Soon the ladybug flew away, and I was left alone once again. Where were daddy and mommy?

Peter p.o.v

I had tried to call Julia, but it went straight to voicemail and she did not answer to my texts as well. What was this woman up to? Her child was missing.

I arrived at the day care as quickly as possible. When I arrived Mrs. Jones and another woman where already waiting for me. "Mr. Dolivo my name is Wendy Davis I'm the owner of this day care. We have already contacted the local police and they are already searching. I assure you this is not the first time this has happened; the police have done this before."

I could not believe what I just heard. "So, it is normal to you that little children can easily run away from you day care?" Both the women stayed silent at my remark. I knew it was rude, but I was stressed as my little girl was wandering alone on these streets while my wife did not answer her phone.

I asked the police officer who waited at the day care for any updates if he had heard anything from his colleagues. Unfortunately, there were not any updates. I stood there, my hands grabbing my hair. I could not believe what was happening right now. First Anna, then Julia and now Lexi was gone.

For a moment I wanted let panic to consume me, but then I heard her voice. My little girl sat on the hip of a police officer, calling for me. I run towards them and took Lexi in my arms, where she belonged. "My sweet, sweet girl. Why did you run away?" I hummed, trying to keep my tears at bay.

"I want daddy, so I look daddy." I could not believe my daughter. She had run away because she wanted me. What was I going to do with her?

Right then I did not want to think about everything that went wrong that day. I wanted to take my little girl home with me and snuggle with her on the couch. So, after hearing countless of apologies from Mrs. Jones and Davis I took Lexi's bag and went home.

I changed her into a fresh diaper and some new clothes and put a movie on for her. Before I could have some quality time with my daughter, I had to speak to my wife first. Again, she did not pick up her phone. I grew more and more irritated with her. I texted her Lexi was fine and went to watch the movie.

I had my little girl on my lap as she was watching Mulan. That was one of her favourite Disney movies. She especially like the little dragon. I put my hand trough her black hair which was soft as silk. She always enjoyed it when we were touching her hair.

For a short moment I could relax, but it did not last long. Around dinner time Julia still had to arrive at their home. Where could she be? Normally when she was late, she would text me or call me but today she did not. Strange.

I ate together with Lexi who told me about a ladybug that she had found during her little adventure. I tried to seem happy and carefree around her but on the inside, I was fuming. Even after I had put Lexi to bed, Julia still had to come home.

I had called.

I had texted.

Still no sign from her.

Then finally at 01.00 AM the front door opened. I stood up from the couch and waited until she would enter the living room. The moment she came in we locked eyes. "I know, I know. I should have called but I had a crazy day. Something was wrong at the office and we had meeting after meeting. Then I only saw at six your texts and when I saw everything was fine, I thought I did not have to call as I wanted to go home soon. But then we had another emergency meeting and then that one lead to another one and before I knew it, it was midnight." Julia rambled.

I did not listen to her as her demeanour looked strange. Her clothes and hair were both off, she did not wear her tights and lastly, I saw something that broke my heart, a hickey.

I did not response to her explanation. "What is that?" I asked as I pointed at the dark mark on her soft skin. "What is what?" She asked me back. I did not answer. Then her eyes grew wide and she quickly made her way to a mirror. "I can expla-"

"Save it. How long?"

She sighed and sat down on one of the armchairs. "Long."

"How long is long?" I asked, my hands clenching into fists.

"We hooked up first a couple of months ago, before Lexi, and then a while we were distant. Then a couple of weeks later it started again, and it became more serious." No guilt was visible on her face. Her expression looked almost relieved, relieved she could finally tell me this dirty secret of hers.

"So those nights you were working late..."

"Yes, I was with him."  

A/N: first I want to thank you all for your support for this book. I saw we have reached 3k reads and I am really thankfull for that. 

And a special thanks for @ProgrammerRickLUA for giving me this idea of Lexi escaping the day care.

Also what do you guys think will happen to Peter and Julia? Will they stay together? 

Thanks for reading and stay safe!