Chapter 18: day care

Peter p.o.v

Now the situation around Anna is dealt with we could finally look forward. Only Lexi was not so fond of looking forward. I had taken some days off from work and worked from home, but now I really had to go back.

Julia and I did not want to make the same mistake by hiring a bad babysitter, so we were looking at day-cares. We had found one, which we thought was perfect for our daughter, but I had my worries. Lexi already showed even before Anna she had trouble with being separated from us, now she was not not only surrounded with unfamiliar faces but was also in an unknown environment.

Right now, we were heading towards the day care as Julia and I both had to go to work today. Lexi was in the backseat not knowing what was going to happen. She sat content in her car seat, pacifier bobbing in her mouth and her little friend Nancy safely settled in her arms.

We arrived at our destination and I took her out of the car. It was right then her eyes started to dart around, a confused expression on her face. "Daddy where?" She asked me.

"We are at a day care sweetie. Here you will make friends and play fun games as your mommy and I go to work."

"Daddy stay?" Her big eyes pleading me to say yes. "I'm sorry sweetie, but daddy has to go to work."

"No, mommy and daddy stay!" Lexi whined. I sighed. I was afraid this would happen. I just adjusted Lexi in my arms and walked inside together with Julia.

Lexi did not stop her whining. Everything we said was useless as she did not listen to us. We arrived in front the classroom where Lexi would me staying. Multiple kids were already playing with dolls, toys, and games. I hoped Lexi would understand it was fun to stay at a place like this.

When Lexi did not quit her whining Julia took her from my arms. She held Lexi on her own hip and said, "Lexi, daddy and I will be back. For a couple of hours, you will be staying her and make lots and lots of friends, okay? So be a good girl for us and stop the whining."

It fell to deaf ears because it only made Lexi whine even more. The poor girl. I could not blame her after everything that happened. The teacher approached us as she heard the little commotion we were making. "Ah you must be Mr. and Mrs. Dolivo with little Lexi over here." The teacher pinched Lexi's cheek as she wanted to look nice in front of the small girl, only it made Lexi even more afraid.

We had already explained the day care what Lexi went through, and they promised us they would take that into account if something happened. "I see we have a shy one at hand here." The lady said sweetly. She then turned to us. "Let me introduce myself, I'm Mrs. Jones and I will be the one looking over your daughter together with the rest of this class." We were all shaking hands as Julia looked at the time. "Not to be rude Mrs. Jones but we really need to go. We have tried to explain Lexi what is going on, but as you can see, she finds it difficult to except it."

"I completely understand and do not worry. Soon your troubles are not bringing her here but taking her home with you." The teacher joked as she took Lexi from Julia's arms. We both said our goodbyes as we left a crying Lexi in the arms of stranger. Why do I feel so bad?

"Do you think we did the right thing honey?" I asked Julia as we walked towards our cars. "Peter like I have said already a couple of times. Lexi needs to learn how to be alone, how to be away from us."

"But after everything that has happened maybe it won't be wrong for me to just quit my job and take care of her. She can make friends when she is a bit older." I offered.

"Peter, I do not have time for this right now and to respond to your suggestion, we both promised each other that our child would not come between us nor our jobs." She gave me a quick kiss and left.

I guess she is right, but still it hurt to see how distressed my little girl was.

Lexi p.o.v

They left me. Daddy and mommy left me. I was scared. I did not want to be here, only wanting to be in the safe arms of my daddy and mommy. "How about we get you settled in?" The lady said. She had taken the bag from daddy and sat it somewhere. Then she turned to me and squatted down. "Hello Lexi, I think I have not introduced myself to you. I'm Mrs. Jones, but you can call me Miss okay?" I only nodded my head afraid she would hurt if I said no, like Anna.

"How about you go sit her and colour in one of these books together with Max and Layla." She had guided me towards a table full of crayons and colour books. However, I did not colour. I only looked at the door where mommy and daddy stood just a moment ago, hoping they would come already. 

Thank you for reading and stay safe!