Chapter 14

Damon Salvatore sat on the floor of his room with his back against his bed. A glass of early morning bourbon rested in his hand while his phone laid next to him. He had been waiting for a message from Annie for 24 hours, constantly checking his phone to see if she called.

"Why is everyone in this damn town so stupid?" He muttered to himself as he took a sip of his drink.

"You seem to be in a wonderful mood." Damon looked up to see a smiling Rose. The vampire took a glass and filled it from his bedside table before sitting down next to him.

"How'd you guess?" Damon asked sarcastically as he took another sip of his drink.

"Is the doppelgänger still set on sacrificing herself?"

"She's got a whole plan in place, she'll come back, Bonnie won't die, her loved ones will stay safe. It's Elena's choice; it's always Elena's choice."

"I'm surprised you haven't locked her away, aren't you supposed to be in love with her?"

Damon shot Rose a glare before sighing and setting his glass down next to him. He picked up his phone and checked for any missed calls or messages, even though he checked not long ago. Damon sighed and tilted his head back against the bed when he saw nothing.

"I'm not in love with Elena." He said simply, no hesitation or waiver in his voice as he turned his head and looked over at Rose.

The vampire had a small smile on her face as she stared down at her drink. "Oh? What changed?"

The vampire had a small smile on her face as she stared down at her drink. Her short hair brown hair fell over her eyes and Damon tried to resist the urge to tuck it back behind her ear.

"After Katherine's multiple betrayals and Elena's insistence on dying, I'm back to square one. Now I guess I'm just done with doppelgängers."

"I'm glad you've finally come around Damon." She said softly. 

"Yeah, me too."

"Why do you stick around this town? Why not just leave it, get away from all this crazy."

"At first it was for Stefan, then it was Elena, now," Damon paused and took a sip of his drink. "Now I stick around here for my brother. He loves Elena, and I don't want to see him hurt by a doppelgänger like I was."

"You're a good brother, Damon, you might not show it, but you are."

"I'm also the man who cursed my brother to an eternity of misery."

"Damon, you do realize that is what siblings do, right?" Rose asked with a smile, earning a scoff from Damon. Her smile fell as she asked her next question. "So, is Klaus really here now?"

"Yeah, he took over Alaric's body and tried to kill our witch. Haven't seen him since, but apparently he went and told Elena's aunt about vampires and Stefan beat the hell out of him."

"I would have loved to see that."

"The sun and moon curse is fake too, Elijah told Elena that it's actually a curse on Klaus that prevents him from becoming a vampire-werewolf hybrid hybrid."

"You're kidding."

"Nope, you can go and ask her if you want. Apparently the witches placed the curse on Klaus which made his werewolf side dormant. He then made the sun and moon curse so all the vampires and the werewolves would do his dirty work by finding the doppelgänger and the moonstone fo him to break his curse."

"Shit," Rose huffed, drinking the rest of her glass before getting to her feet. Damon stayed sitting and looked up at her as she ran a hand through her hair.