Chapter 6

Damon paced in the parlor of the Salvatore Boarding House, the glass of bourbon in his hand dangerously close to shattering from his temper. The conversation he had with Rose earlier was playing on repeat in his head.

***

"Ok you have to understand I only know what I've picked up over the years, and I don't know what's true and what's not true. That's the problem with all this vampire crap. But Klaus I know is real." Rose said, pacing the living room.

"Who is he?" Elena questioned.

"One of the Originals. He's a legend." Damon cut in.

"From one of the first generations of vampires." Stefan added.

"Like Elijah?" Elena asked.

"No. Elijah is the easter bunny compared to Klaus. He was a foot solider; Klaus is the real deal." Rose corrected.

"Klaus is known to be the oldest." Stefan said.

"Ok so, you're saying that the oldest vampire in the history of time is coming after me?" Elena clarified.

"Yes"

"No"

Rose and Stefan said at the same time.

"What they're saying is-I mean, if what she's saying is true-"

"Which it is."

"- and you're not just saying it so we don't kill you,"

"Which I'm not."

"then we are lookin' at a solid maybe." Damon concluded.

"Look Elijah's dead, right? So no one else even knows that you exist."

"Not that you know of." Rose interrupted.

"That's not helping." Damon said.

"Look, I've never even met anyone whose laid eyes on him. I mean, we're talking centuries of truth mixed with fiction. I mean, we don't know what's real. For all we know he could just be some sort of stupid bedtime story." Stefan said as he tried to soothe a nervous looking Elena.

"He's real, and he doesn't give up. If he wants something, he gets it. If you're not afraid of Klaus then you're an idiot." Rose said firmly.

"Alright we're shaking. You've made your point." Damon said. After that Elena got up from the couch and got ready to head to school and Stefan followed.

***

Soon after Stefan left the boarding house, Damon walked in on Rose crying softly to herself.

"Alright Rosebud. I need some answers." Rose wiped her eyes and stood up. "Oh please don't tell me you're crying 'cause your buddy Trevor lost his head." Damon mused.

"You always been this sensitive?" Rose questioned with a sniffle.

"There's a little vampire switch you can just, pfft, for this very reason. Takes the emotion out of it." Damon made a noise and flicked his fingers together.

"Yeah, you switch yours and I'll switch mine."

"Is that a dig?"

"It's an observation. Being in love with your brother's girlfriend must be difficult."

"I'm not in love with anyone."

"You wanna try that again?" Rose said with a hint of a smile.