Chapter 39

I'll edit this chapter later. This is our reminder to get some sleep people.

"I remember everything," she sobbed, accepting the comfort Bucky offered as he pulled her into a hug.

"It's going to be okay, Ang," he whispered, gently rubbing circles on her back.

"It's not. Damon is...is dead...and I, I killed him."

"Angelika listen to me," Bucky told her firmly, pulling away and wiping her tears with his fleshy hand. "As much as I hate to admit it, and I really hate to admit it-"

"What is it?"

"Damon is alive."

Annie paused, the only sound in the room being the occasional cry that would escape her lips. She sniffled and wiped her eyes with her sleeve.

"How do you know?"

"I sent Katherine and Wanda to Mystic Falls to see what happened."

Annie nodded her head and leaned it on his shoulder, taking a deep breath to calm herself down.

"How bad is it?" She asked quietly. "How mad is he?"

Bucky let out a sigh and threw an arm around her shoulder, trying to brace her for the ugly truth.

"Katherine told me that Damon seems pretty understanding."

"And Klaus?"

Bucky paused and ran his metal hand through his hair, trying to avoid looking her in the eyes. Annie narrowed her eyes and poked his arm.

"And Klaus?" She asked again.

"Annie, Katherine said he's pissed."

Bucky deflated when he noticed Annie visibly flinch as tears began welling in her eyes once more. She wiped them away with her sleeve, but they just kept coming.

"How pissed?"

"Really pissed. I'm not going to lie to you, Annie, but Katherine told me the situation's bad."

Annie didn't give him a response. Instead, she froze, sitting on the bed catatonically as Bucky waited for her reaction.

"Oh," was all she said, wrapping her arms around her chest.

"Can I have a moment alone?"

"Sure doll," Bucky said softly, standing up from the bed and opening the door. "Make sure to eat something, Annie."

She didn't give him a verbal response, instead opting to nod her head. He closed the door behind him and made his way to the room where the rest of the Avengers were gathered.

Clint had found a new bag of chips and was currently sharing them with Natasha. Tony was leaning on the back of the couch, Steve stood in the back with his arms crossed, and Bruce was heating up some leftovers in the kitchenette. Fury was lounging in an armchair, eyebrow raised expectantly.

"Well? Does she remember anything?" Fury asked.

"She remembers everything."

Natasha tossed a chip into Clint's mouth before asking, "how's she taking it?"

"Terribly."

"Poor girl."

"She can stay with us now," Tony piped in, earning a nod and thumbs up from Clint.

"I call her for my team," Clint said quickly, earning an eye roll from Nat.

"You can't take her for your team, remember? She's got super solider serum, so that's cheating," Nat scolded, flicking him in the forehead.