Chapter 40

"Are you sure you want to go in there, Anne?" Damon asked as they turned onto the street of the Mikaelson's house.

"Yes. I need to explain myself. I need to fix things," she told him firmly.

"I'm worried about you going in there alone," Damon countered, slowing down in front of the house. "I don't want you to get hurt."

"I know Damon," she said softly, placing her hand on top of his. "I'll be okay."

"You can take care of yourself, right?"

She nodded her head and squeezed his hand before turning to open the car door. "I'll scream if I need you."

"Good luck Annie."

"Thanks Damon."

"Remember, it's his loss. You're too good for him anyway."

Annie blushed furiously and threw the car door open.

"Damon, shut up," she muttered.

"Flash your tits at him and he'll definitely come crawling back."

Annie's face heated up even more as she grabbed the water bottle in the front seat cup holder and smacked Damon across the face with it.

"Shut up," She snapped, tossing it on the floor. "I thought you said I had no tits."

"Well, I was drunk and lying."

"Sure, sure."

"In all seriousness, you'll be fine."

Annie stepped out of the car and made her way up to the door of the Mikaelson mansion. She took a deep breath and cracked her knuckles before shoving her hand in the pocket of her leather jacket.

"I hope," he heard him mumble from the drivers seat.

What a prick.

Her fingers fiddled with the flashdrive before finding a cool, smooth metal bracelet. Annie slid the bracelet out of her pocket and slipped it on her wrist before she knocked on the door.

She kept her feet planted firmly on the ground and eyes facing ahead. Her heart pounded fiercely in her chest and every passing second she became more and more anxious.

'I can do this, it's not my fault,' she thought to herself, squeezing her hands together as the door opened.

Rebekah Mikaelson was the one who opened the door. She looked Annie up and down before her neutral expression turned into a scowl.

"Well, well, well, look who it is. The girl who stabbed my brother through the heart," Rebekah sneered, crossing her arms over her chest.

"Rebekah, please let me in, I need to-"

"No, I don't think I will," the blonde snapped, stepping out front, causing Annie to step back.

"Rebekah-"

"No. To think I rooted for you and my brother to be together makes me sick."

Annie tried to keep the tears back as Rebekah continued to tear into her, her blue eyes flaming with rage.

"You make my brother fall for you, care for you, and you turn around and stab him through the heart. How dare you betray my brother and then have the audacity to show your face here again? You are lucky I haven't killed you yet."

"Rebekah, I need to explain what happened," Annie told her, keeping her voice as steady as she could manage.

"My brother and I have had our ups and downs over the past millennium, but I love him with all my heart. I will not allow you to hurt my brother again. There is nothing for you to explain."