Chapter 2

"Didn't you just try to steal my blood? Why do you want to be friends?" Annie asked, dropping the handshake and crossing her arms over her chest.

Damon smirked and nodded his head. "Touché."

He grunted as he started walking towards the parking lot. Annie stayed where she was and watched him slowly make his way back towards the bar. She could tell he was hurting pretty badly despite his attempts to cover it up. The slight stumbling in his steps gave him away.

"Where are you going?" She asked, receiving an are-you-kidding-me look from Damon.

"I'm going to my car and heading back to New York. I came here because I'm friends with Tom and I can usually get a quick meal." He said, giving her a pointed look as he said the last bit.

"Pity," Annie murmured sarcastically. "Who is Tom?"

"The bartender. But just for a heads up, is there anyone else who can shoot freaky red magic from their hands besides you and the witch lady on tv?"

"No," she replied quietly, a heavy feeling setting in her chest. It wasn't entirely a lie.

"Great, makes my dieting much easier." Damon deadpanned before turning back around and walking towards his car.

Annie sighed to herself and decided to follow him. When she walked up to the car, he whirled around and stared at her, raising an eyebrow when she didn't flinch.

"Why the hell are you still here?" He barked, eyeing her up and down. "Don't you have more innocent vampires to bully or is it just me? I can send you to my brother to torment if you want." 

Annie had an unimpressed look on her face and her arms were still crossed across her chest. To Damon's dismay, she was about the same height as him and he guessed she was around 5'9.

"Do you want me to suck you dry?" He asked.

"I want to take you up on your offer of friendship."

"Even after I tried to eat you? How do you know I won't try again?" He asked, wiggling his eyebrows at her.

He definitely wouldn't try again. Damon didn't want really want to test Annie's ability to kick his ass with whatever magic she had, but he did want to know why she wanted to be friends all of a sudden.

Annie raised a hand as let a soft red glow form around her finger tips. A grin spread across her face when she notice Damon grow nervous. She pretended to blast Damon again and burst out laughing when the vampire put his hands up and turned to protect himself.

"I don't think you'll try something like that again." She chuckled as Damon stared at her and raised an eyebrow.

"Hop in," he told her as he slid into the drivers seat. "Just don't shoot me while I'm driving. I'll kill you if anything happens to this car."

Annie walked around the front of the car as Damon slid into the driver's seat and laid on the horn. The sharp noise made her jump back and clutch her chest in surprise. She shot Damon a dirty look as she slid into the passenger seat.

"That wasn't very nice." She grumbled as he laughed.

"Maybe not, but it sure as hell was funny. You should've seen the look on your face, absolutely priceless."

Damon started driving towards the city and Annie noticed every so often he would glance over in her direction when he thought she wasn't looking.

"Why do you keep staring at me?" She asked when she caught him glancing at her for the umpteenth time.

"I guess I'm still a bit surprised you decided to trust me and get in the car. Didn't your parents teach you to be wary of strangers?"

"I said I we could be friends, not that I would immediately start trusting you. And no, they didn't."