Chapter Two

"Wake up, kittypet!"

Thornkit's sneer woke Nettlekit from his dream of chasing a rabbit. He was just about to catch it when his denmate woke him.

"What?" Nettlekit grumbled, rolling over. "I was sleeping!"

Thornkit let out a mrrow of laughter. "It's almost sun-high!"

That caused Nettlekit to wake instantly. "What?" He looked out the nursery, eyes wide. Indeed, the sun was already up and cats were strolling around camp. Thornkit had been exaggerating a bit, but it was later than he normally slept in.

It had been a few moons since Nettlekit had opened his eyes and Thornkit and Finchkit showed him around the camp. Every day, the three had become more rambunctious and closer and closer to being apprentices.

"Well?" Thornkit snapped. "Are you going to come out to camp with us, or what?" Nettlekit nodded, standing up and shaking out his pelt as if to shake off the sleepiness.

Nettlekit followed the two out of the den, squinting in the sudden light. He saw Thornkit and Finchkit ahead of him, and he sprang forward to catch up. It seems every day I get closer and closer to their size! Nettlekit thought triumphantly. I can't wait to be an apprentice.

Lost in thought, Nettlekit found himself in front of a light brown she-cat. He had almost hit her in his rush toward the older kits.

Windpaw hissed at him. "Watch it!" She snapped, putting down the bundle of moss she had been carrying. Her and her brother had just been made apprentices. Windpaw was training as a warrior while her brother Mudpaw had chosen the path of a medicine cat.

"Sorry." He mewed, darting around her more carefully this time. She gave him one more sharp glance before picking her moss up again and heading toward the elder's den.

Nettlekit mumbled another apology and approached the other kits, being much more careful this time. Finchkit was saying something to Thornkit, which made him laugh. Nettlekit couldn't quite hear what Thornkit said next, but he picked up "Maybe kittypets sleep longer!" Nettlekit growled under his breath.

Pretending not to hear, he stopped beside his denmates. "What today? Going to make me walk into the medicine cat den?" He mewed humorously, pushing back his anger.

Finchkit purred. "The elder's den, actually. Brightpetal has the best stories." Nettlekit's mood brightened. Not only did she indeed have great stories, Brightpetal was Sedgefang's mother which made her kin. Nettlekit loved spending time with her.

Thornkit, however, didn't look as pleased. "Elders are grumpy and stinky. I hope I'm never an elder." He puffed out his chest. "I'd rather be a warrior any day."

Finchkit glared at her brother. "Don't be hare-brained. You'd be lucky to be an elder one day, considering how reckless you are." Thornkit shoved her, making her giggle softly.

Nettlekit felt a pang of sadness at this. I've always wished I had littermates, he thought. But I'm almost glad I don't if it would mean having to deal with someone like Thornkit all the time.

Then again, Nettlekit pretty much had to play with Thornkit as much as if he was his own sibling.

Finchkit led the way to the elder's den, tail held high. Thornkit reluctantly followed, and Nettlekit trailed behind him. When they entered the elder's den, Brightpetal was already in a wild story of being chased by a fox. Windpaw, who had just been in there to give the elders new bedding, was now listening intently.

Nettlestar's Atonement {BEING UPDATED}जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें