Chapter Nine

Nettlepaw took the rear position of the patrol. He was glad to have been chosen for the border patrol to check on AutumnClan's activity, but also nervous. He was the youngest apprentice there.

Applebreeze led it, with her sister Mapleblaze at her side and Dovewillow shortly behind them. Amberpaw trailed at her mentor's side. Nettlepaw didn't know her too well but he had seen her with her siblings and she was a great fighter. He had noticed that her pelt had grown sleeker, her muscles more noticeable underneath, and she looked more like a grown cat. Her siblings looked that way too, and as the oldest apprentices Nettlepaw could only assume they'd be warriors soon.

Nettlepaw had to fluff out his pelt to the leaf-fall wind. Even though in the hills the sun still shone on every cat's back, the trees in this part of their territory made it shaded and cold.

Suddenly the apprentice's ears perked. Nettlepaw watched with interest as Amberpaw crouched down, then broke into a run. She tore after a russet-colored squirrel that had been digging through the undergrowth. I suppose I could've been scenting for prey as well, Nettlepaw thought guiltily, only now noticing the squirrel's scent. We can still hunt on border patrols.

Amberpaw dashed out of sight, and the patrol followed her, finding it slightly difficult to navigate the forest without tripping over roots. How is she doing this? AutumnClan's border was near, which meant everything grew thicker and closer together. It was a headache.

Nettlepaw suddenly heard a commotion ahead. Hissing and sounds of cats approaching alerted them, and he was surprised at what he saw when Amberpaw came in sight.

Four AutumnClan warriors stood at the border. From the scent, Nettlepaw could tell they had crossed it. One of them had her paw on the very squirrel Amberpaw had been chasing, and the apprentice let out an indignant wail. "That was my squirrel!"

The she-cat who had caught the prey yowled in laughter. "It was yours, but it's ours now!" She jeered. "It crossed the border, puny apprentice! Didn't you notice? Or are all SummerClan warriors unable to scent it?" The cats behind her chorused in laughter.

Amberpaw hissed and began to lunge at the warrior, but Dovewillow stepped behind her and grabbed her by the scruff. "What is going on here?" She mewed sternly, casting a hostile glance at the young warriors while her apprentice half sulked, half glared at her side.

A tom next to the she-cat sent a returning glare her way. "Don't even start complaining about crossing the border! We could say the same about SummerClan!"

Nettlepaw yowled in rage. "What do you mean! We've clearly scented AutumnClan on our side of the border!"

The she-cat whipped around to face him, while Applebreeze rested her tail on his shoulder as a warning to be quiet. "What are you talking about, apprentice? This is the first patrol we've sent on your land!" She sneered. "We figured we'd return the favor." The AutumnClan she-cat snapped.

A snarl was heard behind Nettlepaw. "Liars!" Amberpaw growled, launching herself over the border and at the she-cat. Dovewillow hissed in frustration and tried again to restrain her apprentice but the ginger she-cat had already landed on the she-cat and clawed at her pelt.

A moment later, the whole patrol was across the border and began to fight. AutumnClan had a few less cats than SummerClan did on theirs, but they fought with the strength of many more.

Nettlepaw found himself fighting a large gray tom. He struggled, having not had any battle training yet.

"Rat-pelt!" The warrior spat. "Your warriors have no right trespassing on our land and blaming us!"