Chapter Six

Nettlepaw was chasing a rabbit, running faster than he had ever run before. The ground flew by faster than usual, and he felt like he was floating. This rabbit stood no chance.

Just before he could leap forward and sink his claws into the rabbit's hide, Nettlepaw woke up.

He had a headache, and it seemed like every muscle hurt. Nettlepaw's ears were ringing with the sound of earth collapsing over top of him, and his mouth was dry with a faint taste of mud in it.

"Oh good, you're awake."

Sagefeather padded over to him. "How do you feel?" Nettlepaw realized he was in the medicine den, and laying on a nest of thick moss. He tried to lift his head, but it hurt too much so he lay back down instead. "Awful." He replied, his voice sounding thick and raspy.

The medicine cat twitched her tail. "You're lucky to be alive. No injuries, I assume?"

Nettlepaw shook his head. "I think I'm just bruised." He stretched, wincing as he did. "What happened? All I remember is being covered in dirt."

Sagefeather turned back, gathering a bundle of herbs. "Applebreeze says that you went into a rabbit tunnel after your prey." Her whiskers twitched in amusement, and Nettlepaw lashed his tail indignantly. "Thornpaw immediately ran to get her. She had to dig into the tunnel to pull you out. Thornpaw said it was very heroic of her."

Nettlepaw coughed softly. "And then? How long was I out?"

"Only overnight." Sagefeather replied. "Here, eat this." She instructed, pushing forward a small bundle of plants. Nettlepaw obliged, making a face at the bitter taste and finding it difficult to swallow.

"So I ran into a rabbit hole, the tunnel collapsed, and Applebreeze had to pull me out?" Nettlepaw asked, still trying to make sense of it all. He was feeling woozy from sleeping almost an entire day.

"Yes, pretty much." The medicine cat responded. As she pushed a soaking bundle of moss forward for Nettlepaw to drink, her apprentice Mudpaw came from the back of the den. "Oh hey, Nettlepaw. I heard what happened."

He was Windpaw's brother, only a few moons older than Nettlepaw, but his pelt was sleek and his shoulders broad. He'd make a formidable fighter, Nettlepaw mused. But he seems to be doing great serving his Clan in this way.

"Hey," Nettlepaw greeted before laying back down on his side. The herbs were working, but they seemed to make him even more tired than before. "W-what's happening?" He mumbled as he started to slip into unconsciousness.

Nettlepaw sensed Mudpaw stepping forward. "Is he alright?" He asked, worry in his voice.

"He's fine." Sagefeather assured. "It's the poppy seeds. I figured he could sleep through some more of it, and wake up feeling better."

Wake up better? Nettlepaw thought. That sounds nice...

* * *

Nettlepaw woke, already feeling a lot better. He was able to stretch in his nest, with only a little pain.

"Oh, good." Mudpaw mewed, relieved. "I was afraid Sagefeather gave you too many poppy seeds, but you're awake now. I guess she really does know what she's doing." Mentor and apprentice shared a fond glance.

Nettlepaw coughed, finding it less painful this time. "Then you should listen to me better," Sagefeather replied humorously before turning back to Nettlepaw. "How are you feeling?"

"A lot better." He replied honestly. "Can I go out of the den for a bit? I'm starving."

Sagefeather held back a purr of laughter. "I suppose you may go," she mewed. As Nettlepaw was getting up out of his nest with a slight wince, she continued. "Don't put too much strain on yourself! No more training until I say so."