Chapter Seven

"Nettlepaw, wake up!"

Nettlepaw sighed. "Dawn patrol already?" He mumbled, feeling too tired to be doing that this early.

"No, the Gathering." Applebreeze purred. "Now hurry or you'll be late!"

Nettlepaw rolled over. The sky was still dark, only a bright full moon sliced the darkness like a claw. "The Gathering!" He echoed, finally beginning to wake up and realize what his mentor had said.

"Of course, hare-brain. And if we don't get going we won't go at all! Come on, Finchpaw and Thornpaw are waiting outside already." Applebreeze mewed teasingly.

Nettlepaw nodded, trying to hide his disappointment. I suppose it makes sense that they're going too, I just hope that Thornpaw doesn't ruin it for me. He rose to his paws and followed Applebreeze into the clearing. Finchpaw at least will be nice. Maybe we can meet the other apprentices together. Nettlepaw felt his pelt prickle with apprehension.

A large group of warriors and a few elders crowded the camp. Nettlepaw could make out Thornpaw's and Finchpaw's pelts within, as well as a few of the other apprentices: Redpaw, Leopardpaw, Amberpaw, Goldenpaw, and Emberpaw. Their mentors were in the midst, as well as Nettlepaw's parents.

A bit overwhelmed, Nettlepaw stuck close to Applebreeze as Featherstar leaped onto the Clantree to adress the camp. The roar of voices quieted as the silver she-cat spoke. "I know this is the first time we have encountered AutumnClan in a moon, and we will be sharing our suspicions of stolen prey." Approving murmurs spread around the cats. "However, I do not want any cat directly accusing an AutumnClan warrior. Gatherings are for peace, and we will not be the Clan to break the truce."

As Featherstar began to lead the cats out of camp, Applebreeze turned to Nettlepaw. "That means you as well," she whispered. "No picking fights."

Shoving back frustration, Nettlepaw nodded. "Okay." He followed her and his Clan, exiting camp and beginning to cross the moor. "What should I expect?"

"There will be many cats there. All the Clans and their leaders, and most of their warriors. It will be overwhelming at first, but if you find a few apprentices to hang out with you'll feel better. This is a good time to make new friends, but remember in a battle your loyalty should lie with your Clan." Applebreeze explained. "Don't worry, you'll do fine."

"I can't wait. Are the other Clans the same as us? What if the apprentices don't like me?" He worried.

Applebreeze purred. "They're a bit different, but not much. As for the apprentices, you'll have to wait and find out." She nudged him. "Like I said. Don't worry, it'll be fun."

Unconvinced, Nettlepaw let his mind wander as they neared the Gathering hollow. I hope the other Clans are nice. Will AutumnClan be angry when we accuse them?

Soon they reached the border, where the vast Spring River flowed completely around the island, and branched off to make the borders of SpringClan. Off where Nettlepaw couldn't see, the mountains where it was sourced were, and so was the entrance to the starcave. Medicine cats went there every half-moon to visit with StarClan, and one day Nettlepaw would too, as every apprentice usually went there at least once.

"Ready?" Applebreeze asked. Nettlepaw nodded nervously. He saw Featherstar begin to walk across a fallen tree, followed by Liontooth then the rest of her warriors. We're going to have to cross that?

When it came Nettlepaw's turn to cross, he glanced uncertainly at Applebreeze. "I know. I was nervous my first time too. Just dig your claws in deep and you'll be alright." She assured. It was hard to picture his mentor as an apprentice, but he was able to place an unsteady paw on the bark.