Chapter Fourteen

Nettlepaw ran through the shadowy forest, mud clumping between his claws and in his pelt. He felt fear run through him like a river, but wasn't sure what he was fleeing from.

"Your time has come," the strange she-cat screeched. "Your path will be determined!"

Nettlepaw felt fury flow through him, but put on a burst of speed and ran even faster.

"It has come!" She yowled. "Nettlepaw, wake up."

Nettlepaw stopped in his tracks. Her voice sounded different. "What?" He hissed as he felt himself slipping into the waking world.

"Nettlepaw, wake up." Applebreeze whispered again. Her eyes were dull and fur matted, and she looked like she hadn't been sleeping.

Nettlepaw yawned widely. "Why?" He grunted, turning around to fall back asleep, pushing back the lasting adrenaline from his dream.

Applebreeze prodded his side until he rolled back over with a huff. "Training."

At his groan of a response, his mentor continued. "I know you're probably not feeling up to it," she said gently. "But you have to continue your duties. If it's what you really want, to be a great warrior, this is how you do it."

Nettlepaw was only half-convinced. "Why should I be a great warrior? Aren't I just a kittypet?" He snapped.

Applebreeze bared her teeth in a hint of a snarl. "You are not a kittypet! I was only an apprentice when your father joined the Clan, but I knew he would be great for us! He stopped being a kittypet the day he set paw in camp and you never were one. Nettlepaw, do you beg for food from twolegs?" She hissed.

"No." He said reluctantly, seeing her point but not wanting to admit it.

"Do you stay safe in a twoleg's den during the cold season, never hunting or feeling what it's like to be a real cat?"

"No."

"Do you lay around all day in the sun, never getting anything done?"

Nettlepaw felt his pelt grow hot. The last two days were pretty much doing that, though he had good reason to. Right?

What if Dustcloud would have wanted me to move on? What if I'm disappointing him because of that?

"I won't any longer." Nettlepaw decided, rising to his paws. "So fine. Training."

Applebreeze's eyes brightened, though they were still dull with lack of sleep. "Good. I thought we'd meet up just outside of camp in the grassland."

Nettlepaw barely held back his grin. She knows I'm happier in the hills, he thought. Applebreeze is such a great mentor.

"Are we ready to go?" Stonesong asked. Finchpaw stood beside him, and Thornpaw and Cloverwing were near. To his surprise, Owlfeather and Branchwhisker were there as well with Leopardpaw and Goldenpaw, and even Windpaw and her mentor Mapleblaze.

"This is quite the group," Applebreeze commented. Nettlepaw silently agreed, though he was more focused on Thornpaw's challenging glare. I'm not intimidated by him!

"Yes, we wanted all the apprentices together," Branchwhisker mewed warmly.

"Then let's go," Stonesong said gruffly. Cloverwing flicked him with her tail. "Don't be so harsh," Nettlepaw heard her whisper.

He snorted but didn't argue as he led the impromptu patrol out of the camp for training.

Cloverwing took charge after that. "I want you all to split into teams. Leopardpaw, Finchpaw, and Nettlepaw on one team, Thornpaw, Windpaw, and Goldenpaw on the other. Understood?" The apprentices nodded.

"Pretend you're enemy Clans fighting over a border. No claws!" Cloverwing added, with a teasing glance at Thornpaw and Nettlepaw that still made his pelt prickle. "Begin!"

Nettlepaw turned toward his denmates. "We can beat them easily," he said. "Leopardpaw, take your sister. I'm sure you know most of her fighting techniques by now." The golden apprentice nodded, purring in amusement. "I should've known you were going to take charge."

While Nettlepaw briefly ducked his head in embarrassment, Finchpaw spoke up. "Then should I take Thornpaw?"

Nettlepaw shook his head. "You'd match better with Windpaw. I don't have as much training as you, and she's an older apprentice." Finchpaw nodded, eyes gleaming, while Nettlepaw added silently and I want to take Thornpaw myself.

The other three apprentices lined up. Thornpaw traced a line in the dirt with one sharp claw, eyes glinting. "I am Thornstar of ThornClan," he said gallantly. "And you are trespassing on my territory!" Nettlepaw heard chuckling coming from the mentors.

He took his chance. "Well I am Nettlestar of NettleClan!" He hissed. "I say it's our territory!" The name sounded right on his tongue. Maybe one day I really will be Nettlestar. He shook off the thought. It was just a kit's dream, surely every cat wanted to be leader but few actually became one.

Finchpaw and Leopardpaw yowled challengingly behind him, and Thornpaw lunged at Nettlepaw. Nettlepaw threw off the golden apprentice before he could drive him to the ground, and faced him with his teeth bared. He heard sounds of fighting, and assumed Leopardpaw and Finchpaw had joined the tussle.

"NettleClan will rule the forest!" He cried, leaping towards Thornpaw. His denmate snarled and they locked in battle, rolling across the ground.

"ThornClan is stronger!" Thornpaw retorted. "ThornClan didn't let their warriors die!"

Nettlepaw had a feeling they weren't speaking of their made-up Clans any longer. "NettleClan's warriors are loyal! They don't betray their leaders!" He spat, shoving Thornpaw off once more.

"NettleClan is weak! NettleClan takes in strays as warriors!" Thornpaw yowled. "ThornClan is pure, and that is what makes us stronger!"

Nettlepaw raked his claws across Thornpaw's face. "Do not speak of the Clan that way!" He growled. Thornpaw looked up at him defiantly, claws extending as battle-hungry as always.

"That is quite enough," Stonesong growled. "I think we are done here." Nettlepaw realized the fighting had stopped among his denmates, and most were watching the gray warrior.

"Sorry," Nettlepaw mumbled, while Thornpaw muttered something that might have been an apology.

Stonesong gave them another harsh glare before turning around again. Nettlepaw was numbly aware of Applebreeze walking next to him, and the whole patrol making their way back to camp.

"I thought I taught you better than this," Applebreeze mewed at last. "You're letting your claws think for you, Nettlepaw. You should follow your heart."

Follow your heart. It sounded like something a mother would tell her kit, he thought bitterly.

"I've said this before and I still mean it," Applebreeze said sternly. "You need to learn to be a Clanmate to Thornpaw."

Nettlepaw nodded half-heartedly, seeming to satisfy his mentor. "I'll speak with you about this again soon." She promised.

Thornpaw will never insult my father again and get away with it, Nettlepaw thought resentfully.

He should watch where he steps.

Was that laughter, coming from the shadowy she-cat who haunted his dreams?