CHAPTER TWO

*✧・゚:* DEAD TO ME *:・゚✧*

✧━━━━━━━━━━━✧

IT WASN'T UNTIL Harry stood in front of the picks for the Gryffindor Quidditch Team that he truly realized how much he wished for the team from his first year. From Angelina Johnson, Katie Bell, and Alicia Spinnet as Chasers to having Oliver Wood as a Keeper (and Captain, in case he hadn't made you aware), Harry didn't think he'd ever be able to form a team as good as that. Perhaps they only seemed so marvelous because he was only eleven when he first played alongside them, but as much as he loved Ron Weasley, he was no Oliver Wood.

"Okay, so, I'm gonna run you all through a few drills," Harry's voice was much louder and much clearer than it had been during his first year as Captain (his sixth year). Now, those who were trying out stood before him, silent and staring, whereas the other year they had been rambunctious and, honestly, slightly rude. "Just to assess your strengths."

"Harry," said Dean Thomas, a taller boy who had subbed as a Chaser during Harry's sixth year. "Aren't you a bit worried about our... er... company?"

"Company?" Harry repeated, squinting slightly at the sun as he adjusted his gaze to look up at the stands. Unluckily enough, a small group of Slytherins were sitting in one section; he could easily spot the white-blonde head of Draco Malfoy, sitting beside a girl who's curls were wildly untamed from the wind — Harry's shoulders slumped with annoyance — Indiana Jones. One of the few things that made her less intimidating, however, was the knowledge that she shared a name with a Muggle movie character. Lightened the mood a bit, he thought.

"Are they even allowed to be here?" Ron Weasley, the first friend Harry ever made at Hogwarts, spoke from amidst the group, his red hair poking out from various spots under his helmet.

"All students are allowed to attend tryouts," Harry said defeatedly, still watching the two Slytherins. Jones had always been quite the aggressive Quidditch player, and he remembered that she had always been the only girl on the Slytherin team. She had hit him with a Bludger quite a few times, if he was remembering correctly. "It doesn't matter. Just — just pretend they're not there.

"Remember — just because you made the team last year doesn't guarantee you a spot this year, is that clear?" The group was quiet, a few of them nodding. He took that as a collective yes.  "Good."

✧✧✧

"IS HE DAFT? Allowing Peakes to even try out?" Indiana remarked from up in the stands, one hand holding her hair down and the other clacking her short nails along the bars that kept them from falling off the stands. "He can barely go up fifty feet."

"They don't have the Weasley's anymore, what do you expect from them?" Draco asked rhetorically. "I didn't like them, but they were good Beaters. Not as good as you, of course."