CHAPTER EIGHT

*✧・゚:* DEAD TO ME *:・゚✧*

✧━━━━━━━━━━━✧

"AND WHERE THE ruddy hell were you?" Indiana had totally forgotten that Nancy was such a light sleeper. Her original plan was to sneak back into her dorm as quietly as she could, tip-toeing and somehow seeing through the dark well enough not to trip. Unfortunately, she wasn't as stealthy as she had hoped and she was too preoccupied in her own thoughts to be sneaky.

"Kitchens," Indiana replied quietly, dropping her copy of Quidditch Through the Ages onto her nightstand and hoping her friend couldn't smell the smoke off her. "Go back to bed, Nance."

"You're explaining in the morning," Nancy grumbled sleepily, tugging her blanket further up to her chin and nuzzling her head further into her pillows. Indiana dressed into her nightgown and took a seat on her bed, sitting silently to think for a moment. She could hardly believe what had just happened. A civil conversation with Potter. Never would she have guessed that he would have....

She slipped underneath her covers, her eyes still feeling strange from crying as she blinked up at her ceiling. That night, she slept well.

✧✧✧

THE DAY OF the Gryffindor vs. Hufflepuff Match, the first game of the season, Indiana, Blaise, Draco and Theo had made it a point to attend. Indiana and Blaise always went to Quidditch games, no matter who was playing, but they were surprised to hear that Draco and Theo decided to come as well. It seemed they all wanted to catch a glimpse of just how Gryffindor was playing this year.

"I don't understand what the big deal is," Nancy spoke over the wind as the five of them made their way down to the pitch. "We know Potter's going to catch the Snitch, don't we? We know how they play already."

"New year, new plays," Indiana said from up ahead, Blaise at her tail and Draco dragging his feet along. Nancy walked beside Theo, her scarf almost covering her eyes. "Besides — we need to see how Hufflepuff's gonna play, too. Not that they're a threat."

"They could be," Blaise commented, tugging his black overcoat closer to his body. "Ever talk to an angry Hufflepuff?"

"Never again," Theo muttered. "Scary, innit?"

Indiana was pleased to see that not only were wind conditions pretty bad, but the sun was burning down onto the field so brightly that even she could admit she'd have a hard time seeing without squinting or covering her eyes. Perhaps, if Gryffindor lost, she'd be a little less stressed out.

Hufflepuff came out onto the field first, their new captain, Jordan Holmes, looking awfully grim as they spoke to their team. Indiana paid attention to the other two beaters — Tyler and Selena Ocean, a pair of overly hyper twins — who were whispering to each other nonchalantly. The three Chasers looked young and inexperienced, giving Indiana the impression that they'd be no match for Gryffindors Chasers.