CHAPTER NINE

*✧・゚:* DEAD TO ME *:・゚✧*

✧━━━━━━━━━━━✧

HARRY HAD BEEN eager to get down to the Quidditch Pitch on the day of the Slytherin vs. Ravenclaw Match. He had been up all night thinking about Jones; not in that way, of course (although he couldn't help it, sometimes), but about what Ron had said to her, more specifically how she had reacted. It seemed, since the night in the kitchens, that he seemed to be paying her more attention.

"Wait, you want to go?" Ron said to Hermione after she had asked to tag along with them to the game. Her Gryffindor scarf was wrapped around her neck, her gloved hands pulling it over her face. "Since when do you care about Quidditch when Gryffindor's not playing?"

"I'll have you know, I have friends outside of Gryffindor," Hermione said shortly, swiftly brushing by Ron. Harry and him traded a look, shrugging shoulders as the three of them exited the common room and made their way out to the pitch. It seemed more students than usual were heading down to watch the match, and Harry couldn't help but believe it was because of Jones.

He was jealous of the conditions they were playing in. The sky was partly cloudy, along with there being barely any wind and Harry had silently wished for the weather to stay as such for Gryffindors next game. Ravenclaw entered the field first; their captain was Anthony Goldstein, who seemed to be relishing in the fine weather. There were quite a few good players on Ravenclaw, Harry thought, but when it came down to it, they were nothing compared to the Slytherin team.

Slytherin came out onto the field second. Unlike Harry, who had had Ron at his side, Jones strode a few paces ahead of her team, her Firebolt on one hand and the other swaying along her side. When she came to a halt, she tilted her head back to look up into the sky; she brought her hands up to tighten her pony tail before turning back to her team and speaking to them with a broad grin.

Jones and Anthony shook hands; Anthony looked rather smug at seeing her but seemed polite enough, but Jones had no sign of any playfulness or pleasantries on her face. Harry got the sudden impression that she took Quidditch far more seriously than he originally believed.

Madam Hooch blew her whistle and Harry was shocked to see how Slytherin was playing. Ravenclaw hadn't changed their tactics by much, but it may as well have been watching a fifth house play for the Slytherins. Goyle was flying higher above the rest of the players than usual, and Malfoy and Zabini were (although Harry hated to admit it) playing brilliantly.

Seeing Jones at practice and during a game were two different women, he thought. At practice, Jones was encouraging yet brash, degrading and praising her players all at once in a way that seemed to drill them into following her rules to the tee. But she was silent during games, brows drawn together, her gloved hand clutching her Beaters bat. Harry watched carefully as she swooped low, drawing her arm back and slamming the bat against the incoming Bludger so hard he thought the bat might snap it half.