A nightly visit

Credit: MsAustonaut on Ao3

Summary: When Ava sneaks out of Cat's Cradle, Liliths follows her, determined to catch her and bring her back. But instead, she meets Diego.

-

It's been two months since they defeated Adriel and Vincent.

Two months that were, all things considered, good. Yes, their new Halo-bearer was still an untrained dumbass, but even Lilith could admit that she had the heart for the job. The fact that her instincts seemed to shift from flight to fight certainly helped (with the exception of escaping her training with Lilith - though that may have something to do with the one time she broke seven of Ava's bones).

So, Lilith was surprised when she caught Ava sneaking out of Cat's Cradle under the cover of the night. Though perhaps 'sneaking out' was giving her too much credit - a deaf person could hear her getting out. She didn't even bother to use a back exit. Stealth was clearly not one of her skills.

Bracing herself for the worst - that Ava decided to leave the OCS altogether - Lilith followed after her, prepared to drag her back kicking and screaming if needed. And with a punch wound, for good measure.

Oh, Ava was not getting away with this.

What Lilith did not expect, however, was that the destination of the Halo-bearer's Grand Escape was not the airport or a bus stop, but, in fact, the St. Michael Orphanage. Confused and curious, Lilith decided to follow.

She was in the dark hallway, avoiding the nuns, when she heard an excited voice call from one of the rooms:

"Ava! You're back!"

Odd, Lilith thought. The voice belonged to a young boy. It was excited, but a bit frail. From what she knew, Ava had no family. Certainly no brother.

"Of course I am, Diego."

Diego. Diego was the name of the boy Ava came to see. Was she here to break him out and escape together? Or did she just come to visit? Who was he, anyways?

"I'm sorry I couldn't visit earlier... I... I had to fight a very bad man."

"Did you win? Did you defeat the bad guy?"

"Yes, Diego. I did. We did," came the answer, laced with enough emotion to make Lilith feel like an intruder. She could swear she could hear Ava tear up slightly. Before, it would have seemed pathetic to the nun. Now, she was slightly concerned.

The advanced set of senses that she got as a goodbye gift from Hell allowed her to hear rustling of fabric - were they hugging? She presumed that the answer would be yes. Everyone knew how tactile the Halo-bearer was.

"I told you: you are an angel!"

A slightly, sad chuckle came from Ava. Lilith imagined she must be wiping off stray tears as she answered: "No, I'm not."

Diego muttered something else, but even with her advanced hearing, Lilith could not hear. So she moved closer to the door. Which proved to be a mistake, as it caused her to trip and fall onto the ground with a thud (which would be the second most embarrassing moment of her life, right after being thrown into the water by Mary).

"Lilith?" Ava asked, surprised. Surprise, confusion and anger all crossed her features in a matter of seconds, "What are you doing here?"

Before the nun-in-question got a chance to answer, however, the boy - Diego - spoke up, starry-eyed and amazed, "Aare you an angel, too?"

Lilith was a bit taken aback. She went to Hell, after all. Not Heaven. Confusing her appearance for an angel's was surprising, yet... comforting, she supposed. Shaking her head, she answered: "I thought you were running away so I followed you." Glancing down at the excited, but sleepy, kid, she added "and no. I'm not an angel."