Together? I don't think so Pt.I

Credit to spacewritermonkey on Ao3

Summary: Everyone thinks Ava and Beatrice are a couple. Also, everyone else knows Ava and Beatrice are a couple before they do.

-

Ava thinks it all began when they were questioning one of Mary's dubious informants. The man had been mostly uncooperative, even when Mary threatened to shoot off his foot.

Ava had been getting impatient and sighed in consternation, asking if maybe they could hurry things along so they could go home soon.

At her words, the large, pot-bellied, and frankly disgusting sort of man with his thinning hair and crooked teeth had the gall to look her up and down, obviously leering at her chest before asking, "What's the hurry, sweetheart? Got a date? Maybe you and I could—"

Before the youngest member of Team Halo could even try to discreetly adjust her neckline, and before whatever it was the man had to say could be completed—his words were lost thanks to his face suddenly getting acquainted with the floor.

One moment he was upright and the next he simply wasn't.

Everyone were a tad too shocked to react in that moment, but their minds processed that Beatrice was suddenly down on one knee, leaning over the man in what was undoubtedly a threatening manner, one of her faithful daggers nearly cutting into the skin of the man's throat as she whispered something in his ear that had him turning pale.

As soon as Beatrice loosened her hold on him, he started talking and giving them the information they needed in no time at all.

Before they could turn to leave, the guy surprised them by actually apologizing. "Hey, ladies! I'm sorry. I uh didn't know she was your girlfriend." The guy actually looked ashamed, rubbing the back of his neck.

Beatrice and Ava simultaneously looked at each other before quickly averting their gazes, the former deciding to be the one to correct him.

"Setting aside that her status as a single or otherwise attached woman is not equivalent to the respect she deserves, we're not—as you say—together. You do know we're—I'm a nun." She decides to end her explanation the simplest way possible.

Or rather, with the least amount of obfuscation required.

The guy simply shrugged. "You love who you love, don't you?"

Lilith rolled her eyes and encouraged them to leave.

"Explaining how being a nun works will only take away from time we could spend speeding home."

Despite the initial awkwardness in the car ride on the way home with Ava and Beatrice sat side by side, the incident slipped their minds eventually.

They, or rather, Ava put Beatrice's protectiveness as simply having gotten impatient with the man herself.

Of course, Mary, Lilith, and Camilla knew otherwise. But they'd never be the first to tell.