Lesbich

Credit to Hoslesslyscattered

Summary: Beatrice cannot escape her own fears. Even in her dreams.

-

Sometimes when Beatrice closed her eyes, she could still see the imprint of the halo behind her eyelids, an echo of the light of heaven pulsing from beneath a stretch of scarred skin. Not that Beatrice had been looking. And even if she had been looking, she hadn't been touching. Well, of course she'd touched Ava, just not exactly in the way she wanted.

She could admit that now. The want. It was her own light, one she kept in her heart. Ava had the light of heaven. Beatrice had Ava.

Was this what it was like to be John, the Evangelist? Basking in the glow of someone touched by God, favored by the divine.

After all, she wasn't blind to the way Ava looked at her either. Beatrice would catch her out of the corner of her eye, staring as she preformed even the most benign tasks. At first, Beatrice had chalked it to Ava's desire to relearn the things she'd lost in those years stuck in bed. But on more than one occasion, Beatrice had caught Ava's eye before she managed to turn away.

Curiosity wasn't what she saw in them.

What she saw she could only compare to a dying man crawling from the desert to find a fountain of the purest water.

Until that point, she had assumed Ava's feelings for her were nothing but platonic. Friendship. Sure Ava had called her beautiful once, but friends called each other beautiful. She hadn't thought Ava had meant it any other way than trying to let Beatrice know she accepted her.

Until that moment where their eyes met and she saw her feelings reflected across the other girl's face.

Though it excited her, thrilled her even, like a bolt of lightning up her spine, it was also disastrous. Before Ava was out of reach, a dream, a fantasy Beatrice could get past, now she was a reality, a possibility, someone within reach. Beatrice wasn't sure she was strong enough. She prayed to God she would be.

"Beatrice?"

Beatrice opened her eyes. Above her Ava's face hovered. Startled, she sat up, knocking their forehead's together with a loud CLAP.

"Ow Jesus, Bea," Ava swore, rubbing at her forehead.

"Language," Beatrice hissed, her voice clouded with sleep.

"We just blew up the Vatican. Swearing is the least of our worries," Ava remarked with a wry smile.

After the battle with Adriel, they had managed to flee. Though they were injured, Mary badly so, they were alive. Camilla, bless her little angel heart, had hot wired a car for them and somehow Lilith had acquired a credit card, Beatrice did not ask whose.

They had driven as far as they could manage while Beatrice tended to Mary's wounds, until they thought they might be far enough away. Now they were holed up in a single motel room with two double beds and a roll-away cot.

They'd given Mary a whole bed to herself to heal. Lilith and Camilla had taken the other, while Beatrice took the cot. Ava assured them she would be fine in the chair in the corner.

Instead of sleeping, however, the Halo Bearer was now sheepishly sitting on the end of Beatrice's cot.

Ava's gaze dropped from Beatrice down to her own hands which fidgeted with the ends of Beatrice's blanket. She was chewing on her lip in a way Beatrice knew meant she wanted to ask a question but didn't know how to phrase it.

Beatrice reached out, setting her hand on top of Ava's fidgeting one. It stilled. Ava looked back up at her, and as the cloud of sleep started to rise from Beatrice's mind, she clocked just how close they were and just how little Ava was wearing.