To Find Family

Credit to AceClaww on Ao3

Summary: Ava was still amazed by her new family - by the fact that she had a family. With them, Ava felt cared for, loved, and safe. In a way she hadn't quite known was possible.

Or, a closer look at how Ava feels about each of the Sisters.

Plus, how they feel about Ava.

-

Ava was still amazed by her new family -- by the fact that she had a family. Alone for so many years, yet denied any sense of personal freedom. She had Diego, of course (Ava would never dare to forget the one kind soul from her first life). But their relationship was different than the ones she had formed with the Sisters. With them, Ava felt cared for, loved -- safe. In a way she hadn't quite known was possible.

Camilla was light. Compassionate in the way she checked in with her Sisters everyday, tone so sincere and eyes so kind one might forget she was still a warrior. Which would be a dangerous mistake. Because Camila fought with light as well -- the light of a carefully-stoked flame.

What Ava loved most about Camila, however, was that she was simply fun . Perhaps it was because she had been a Sister Warrior for less time than the others. Perhaps it was because that's just who she was. Regardless, Ava found a semblance of normalcy with Camila. It was hard to identify at first, as it had been over a decade and a death since she had felt "normal".

As much as she enjoyed the different brands of banter she had with the others, it was almost always in the context of something more serious, more substantial. Camila could make her feel like she was a teenaged girl, rather than the Halo-bearer, champion of God. They would talk about trivial things and laugh and sometimes Camila would try to teach Ava a melody on the piano and then they'd laugh some more when Ava's fine motor skills inevitably failed her. (Another thing Ava had needed to get used to)

Camila was also very observant, Ava had discovered. She was probably the first to clue into the connection between Ava and Beatrice, the two in question included. While she could appear innocent and naive, Camila had a delicate yet purposeful touch when it came to emotions. Manipulative would be too crass a description, but she knew when to push others and when to pull. Always with their best interests in mind, of course, because she was nothing if not kind. Camila simply wanted to foster happiness in others and she knew how to do exactly that.

Ava was still unsure where she stood in terms of religion. Obviously, in light of recent events, there was some degree of truth to the stories, but she still had her doubts. Because while she had seen more good than she had ever expected, there had also been plenty of examples of corruption and evil. Yet, there was something beautiful about the purity of Camila's faith. It had not been her saving grace or her lifeline or her legacy -- Camila had known happiness before the Church. She chose, and continued to choose, to believe. And Ava thought that, maybe, she could get behind that.

*

Lilith was... complicated, to say the least. They had a strange bond, which was to be expected, all things considered. In the span of a minute, Lilith had gone from almost taking Ava's life to saving it. Despite the unorthodox beginning, though, there was an attachment that was at once quiet and fierce.

It was easy to see the differences between the two girls. Lilith was serious and hard, while Ava defaulted to humour and was as excitable as a puppy. Lilith had grown up as part of an incredible legacy, greatness was expected of her. Nothing was expected of Ava -- there wasn't anyone who cared enough to even consider it. Lilith was, to some degree, part demon; in contrast to Ava's quite literal connection to God.

And yet, beneath the facade of opposition, they possessed similarities. Circumstances may have been vastly disparate, but neither one was a stranger to being trapped. Ava physically by her quadriplegia and Lilith in every way but by the pressure of her inheritance. Their relationship with death was also shared between the two. Brought back, in one way or another, with new abilities thrust upon them, chained to some mysterious purpose .