XVII - The First Confession

Draco opened his eyes and he was laying fully-clothed on his bed, arm throbbing. He sat up and looked at the clock on his wall. 

3:02 AM.

The last thing he remembered was passing out in the basement, and he wondered if it had all just been a dream. Maybe he'd hit his head too hard? But once glance at his gangley arm told him that he'd really lived through the horrid night. He flopped backwards onto his pillow and groaned.

Pansy stirred in her sleeping bag on the floor below.

He tensed up and panicked for a moment, but relaxed when he realized she was still asleep. 

Now... what to do about the arm?

He took off his shoes and quietly tiptoed into the bathroom adjacent to his room. He grabbed a bandage from a cabinet and carefully wrapped it around his wound, covering up the horrid Dark Mark. That would have to do for now.

He went back to his bed and looked at the clock again. 

3:05.

There was no point in trying to fall back asleep, so he wandered around his dark and silent house alone. The stairs creaked as he tried to descend them as quietly as possible, while also trying not to slip in the dim light. 

All the wreckage in the dining room from the night before had been cleaned up and you couldn't tell that all hell had broken loose mere hours before. 

"Fuck!" he cursed as quietly as he could as he accidentally stepped on a single shard of glass left on the floor. He picked it up and inspected it before shoving it into his pocket.

He sauntered over to his spot at the dining table and sat down, imagining that Pansy was sitting across from him. When she'd wake up, she'd have no idea that his father had possessed her body, or flung her across the room, or even what they'd had for dinner last night.

He hated himself for letting that happen to her. He'd promised on the train that he wouldn't let his father hurt her. Yet all he did last night was sit their like a coward. Figures.

Dark and toxic guilt pooled in the pit of his stomach. He put his head in his hands, careful to avoid his raw wrists, and wished he could turn back time.

Suddenly, he heard footsteps growing closer from the top of the stairwell. He scrambled to hide, but he'd already been spotted.

"Hi Draco," Pansy yawned as she sleepily descended the stairs in her pyjamas.

"Uh... hi," he stammered, pulling his sleeves down to cover his wrists. "What are you doing up so early?"

"I could ask you the same question," she replied, biting her lip.

"I asked you first," he smirked.

She rolled her eyes. "You started stomping around the house and woke me up," she groused. "And I couldn't go back to sleep, so I thought I'd just wake up for today. I also discovered a huge bruise on my back that I have no idea how I got..."

"That's weird," he said as he casually scratched his head, furiously berating himself on the inside. 

It's my fault, he thought. I could've stopped it from happening. Now I'm sitting here and lying to her. I'm such a bastard. I don't deserve her.

"Anyway, why did you wake up so early?" she said, sitting across from him at the table.

"Bad dream," he muttered.

"What was it about?" she pryed.

"Nothing." he said, slightly irked.

Pansy leaned forward and narrowed her eyes, "Draco, you don't look so good..." she said. "Is something wrong?"