IX - The Necklace

Draco blinked and it was already October. Leaves began to turn shades of scarlet red and burnt orange, and a chilly autumn breeze set in. The sky was overcast and the sun was partially hidden by clouds, making it the perfect Saturday for a Hogsmeade trip.

Excited footsteps tapped on the stone floor of the boys' dorm. "Bro, bro, bro, bro, bro, bro," Blaise said as he shook Draco awake, who groaned sleepily and rubbed his eyes.

"Whaaaaaat?" he grumbled. He'd just had the strangest dream about-

"Hogsmeade!" Blaise exclaimed before running out to the common room. "Let's go!" he called. 

Draco sat up and looked toward the necklace sitting on his dresser. His stomach dropped as he recalled what his plan for the next few hours was. He lifted the lid of the box to check on it one last time, and there it was, the opal gleaming in the light of his lamp. He threw on a black two-piece suit, and a shiver went up his arms as he carefully concealed it in the inside pocket of his jacket.

"Mornin'," Draco tossed to everyone waiting for him by the door. He exchanged a knowing glance with Pansy, who was wearing Doc Martens with a leather skirt and a hoodie.

"Today?" she whispered, already knowing the answer. 

"Yup." he confirmed. "Nice shoes," he said. 

"You oughtta borrow 'em sometime, instead of stomping around in those goddamn dress shoes all the time," she laughed. "You look silly, dude."

He pretended to be offended and started to go back and get new shoes, but she took his hand and pulled him up the stairs. Her hand was cold, but he felt warm inside.

The train came early, and the group sprinted to make it in time. They were eating a breakfast of candy from the trolley on the train, and Blaise spoke up.

"Look how bad we are, eating candy  for breakfast," he observed, biting into a chocolate frog.

"I know, right? What a bunch of rule breakers." said Draco, who was digging into a box of Fizzing Whizbees. 

"Slytherin really is the evil house," agreed Pansy.

The ride consisted of your standard small talk, gossip about Millicent Bulstrode's weight gain, the recent Chudley Canons win, Madame Rosmerta's alleged boob job, Crabbe needing a haircut, etc.

"...no, Theo, I'm not buying us a round of shots, end of story!" Draco was arguing when the train pulled into the station.

"Hurry, we'd better get to Three Broomsticks before all the tables are taken," said Blaise as they got off the train.

Before entering the pub, Draco touched Pansy's shoulder and pulled her aside. He motioned for the others to continue, and shoved a galleon or two into Theo's hand to pay for butterbeer. She turned to look at him, and he noticed her lips were all bitten and flaking.

She crossed her arms. "Ok, so we're doing this now?" she said before he even opened his mouth.

He nodded. "Remember, just give it to literally any non-Slytherin female student, but don't let anyone see you. Maybe even put your hood up, just to be safe." 

She lifted the hood of her black Weird Sisters hoodie and pulled the drawstrings a bit tighter.

"Er, I guess I'm going to give it to you now," he said awkwardly, looking around to make sure they weren't being watched. He moved so he was mere inches away from her body and opened his jacket. "It's in the pocket," he whispered.

When she felt him exhale down her neck, she quickly took the package and whirled around to face the door. "I sure am glad that I have background information and details regarding what I'm doing," she grumbled as she walked in. "I could be planting a fucking bomb, for all I know!"