XIV - The Daily Prophet: Act One

Draco had a weird dream last night.

He was spread-eagled in the grass on a small hill lined with weeping willow trees and dotted with small wildflowers. Pansy was lying next to him in a flowy white sundress and they were both staring at the sky, watching puffy clouds roll by.

He reached up and pointed at small one directly overhead. "That one's cute, it looks like a heart." he said.

She cocked her head and put it on his chest. "I can see that," she said as she took his hand and toyed with his fingers.

With his remaining hand, he reached across his body and picked a nearby dandelion from the grass. He pulled back Pansy's shiny black hair and stuck it behind her ear, to which she laughed.

She raised her arm to point at a long and thin cumulus cloud over head. "You wanna know what that one looks like?"

"What?"

"A penis!" she giggled.

He rolled his eyes and sat up. "What was I expecting?"

"Oh shut up," she grinned as she took a large handful of grass from the ground and threw it at him, and it got tangled in his blond hair.

"Heyyy!" he exclaimed. He stood up and shook it out so it fell over her like snow.

She stood up and brushed away the blades of grass, stepping closer to Draco. He was only a bit taller than her by about five or six inches, but she still had to look up slightly to maintain eye contact. 

Nobody said a word, but their eyes communicated all they needed to in a single glance. They leaned in close so that their noses were almost touching.

"Psst, psst," she whispered.

"Huh?" he replied.

"Psst, psst," she said louder. "Psst, psst,"

He attempted to lean in closer, but she started firmly poking his face. "Psst, psst!"

"What the hell?"

"Psst, psst!"

His eyelids fluttered open to reveal the real Pansy Parkinson standing over him in the darkened boys' dormitory, poking his face. "Pssssssssst!"

"Alright, alright! I'm awake." he grumbled as he rubbed his eyes. "What on Earth are you doing? You're not supposed to be in here!" 

"Shhhh!" she said urgently. "I need you to come out to the common room before anyone else wakes up."

"Why?" he said, sitting up.

She quickly glanced around the room and bit her lip. "There's... something I think you should know about..."

Draco stood up, disgruntled. His clothes were all wrinkled from sleeping in them and his hair was damp with sweat. "Look, about last night, I-" 

One of the other boys stirred in his bed, and Pansy jumped.

"Shhhh!" she hissed as she took his hand and yanked him through the doorway. 

They plopped on the couch next to each other. 

Small sun beams barely filtered through the murky water of the lake outside the windows, the only source of light other than the fire, which someone had re-lit in the fireplace. 

He noticed that the Exploding Snap cards from the previous night were neatly stacked in a pile on the coffee table, right next to a large stack of the morning's 'Daily Prophet', which Pansy nervously reached for.