XI - The Odd Odor

The next day was one like any other, except for the fact that Pansy was stuck to Theo like a barnacle all morning. He seemed to have a newfound swagger, if you will, now that there was a lady on his arm.

It was obvious to Draco that Pansy's smiling and cooing was fake (or at least he hoped it was), but nobody else seemed to notice. He felt ever more sick the longer they held hands, he wanted to look away each time they hugged, and he had to resist the urge to scream when Theo slyly grabbed her arse. 

Was he... jealous? No, he didn't want to think about that. All he knew was that he felt bad.

"Hey Blaise?" he said at breakfast.

"Yeah?" Blaise said, looking up from a bowl of hot cereal.

"Why is Theo acting like such a sleazebag today?" Draco asked as casually as he could.

"I dunno," Blaise replied. "Speaking of, are you mad at Pansy or something? She's been giving you a death glare all morning, and you haven't talked since last night..."

"Yeah..." said Draco regretfully. "Something just... happened and I guess we're not speaking as of right now-"

"Hey Draco, who are you going to the Slug Club party with?" Theo interrupted earnestly out of nowhere.

"I'm not... in the Slug Club. Remember?" Draco replied through gritted teeth.

"Ohhhhhh, that's right, my bad! Guess it'll just be Pansy and I," Theo said exaggeratedly. "Alone," he added.

Blaise and Draco exchanged looks. Theo was purposefully dangling Pansy in front of both of them, but it was hurting Draco more than he cared to admit. 

 "She's only going to attend a party with him, it's not like they're getting married or anything..." he muttered during Herbology.

"I mean, it's not like I care though..." he added during Arithmancy.

"He's just being such a prick about it!" he exclaimed in Care of Magical Creatures.

"Theo's just using her as status symbol," he grumbled in Transfiguration 

"She's my best friend, she should be with someone who-"

"Jesus Christ, Draco!" Blaise cried as he pounded his fist on the desk in Potions class. "You've sure been talking about her alot, for someone you're supposed to be mad at!"

"Sorry, sorry," Draco said quickly. "This really just getting under my skin, for some reason."

"I hadn't noticed," said Blaise as he rolled his eyes.

"Shh, here she comes,"

Pansy strode in just then, hand in hand with Theo, and sat down in her assigned seat next to Draco.

"Hey, I just wanted to say-" started Draco, but she turned her back to him. "Please don't be like that, I really wanna talk through this-" he said, but she continued to ignore him.

He thunked his forehead on the desk and put his head down as she looked away, and fiddling with a gold chain around her neck.

Professor Slughorn clapped his hands at the front of the room. "Alright everyone, today we will be brewing a potion called Amortentia." he announced. "Can anyone describe this potion to me?"

To Draco's surprise, Pansy's hand shot up. "Amortentia is a powerful love potion, and it smells like whatever you're attracted to!" she said quickly. "Although it doesn't create real love, it still makes the drinker have an obsession over whoever gives it to them."

"Very good, Miss Parkinson!" Slughorn said. "I need each of you to work with your desk partner to create Amortentia by the end of this class period, flip to page 55 and get started!"