XIII - The 𝕽𝖔𝖔𝖒 𝖔𝖋 𝕽𝖊𝖖𝖚𝖎𝖗𝖊𝖒𝖊𝖓𝖙

(a/n: To enhance your reading experience, I'd recommend listening to this song during part of this chapter, just start it at the beginning and let it end.)

Draco sprinted through the deserted halls with his hands covering his red face. He ran and ran for what felt like eternity, desperate to put distance between himself and the party.

 He threw open the door of the abandoned bathroom to find Myrtle staring out the window aimlessly, and a sad record was spinning on an old record player.

He ripped off his suit jacket and tossed it aside as he slid down the wall to the floor, putting his head in his hands. "Merlin, I'm so stupid." he sighed. "I'm so fucking stupid."

Myrtle floated away from the record player and sat beside him."What happened?" she asked curiously.

"Pansy, she..." he started, but his voice cracked. "I saw her making out with Theo at the Christmas party." 

"Would you like to cry with me?" offered Myrtle sadly. 

He shook his head and dabbed at the corner of his eye. "I don't know why I'm so upset... I should be happy that they're happy together," he said. "I just-"

"Can't be?" finished Myrtle. 

"Yeah. I don't know." he mumbled, standing up. 

"...Oh." she replied. 

They were quiet for a moment as he splashed water onto his face at the sink.

"Well, why do you want her away from him so badly?" she asked.

"I dunno, I guess I just miss the way it used to be between us," he said. "We've been together for literally our entire lives. She's beautiful, and smart, and ambitious, and funny, and kind, and understanding..."

Myrtle rolled her eyes. "Isn't it obvious?"

"What?" he said thickly.

"Draco, you love her. It's torture watching you be so stupid about it!" she huffed. "There's no use in denying the truth," she added.

Butterflies filled his stomach. Somehow, he knew deep down that she was what he really wanted all along, he just wasn't ready to face it. He still wasn't ready to face it. But it was useless to keep pretending like the issue didn't exist, or playing dumb every time someone brought it up. Months of getting closer to her, years of telling her things he couldn't even tell himself, a lifetime of admiring her soul from afar... 

"I-I've... fallen in love with my best friend." he finally admitted as his face reddened. "Merlin, how did I not see this coming..."

"Beats me." she shrugged.

"Problem is, she's already madly in love with someone else. There isn't anything we can do about it."

Myrtle opened her mouth to say something, but Draco kept going.

 "And even if she didn't have a boyfriend, there's no way I'll ever work up the courage to ask her out or something, I don't wanna ruin what we already have going..."

"Here, this is my old crying record. You can borrow it if you want." she said, gesturing to the record player.

"I'm alright for now,"

"Suit yourself..."

Draco looked back at the spinning record. "Hey... where'd you get that record player?" he said suddenly.

"I dunno, I lost it years ago." she shrugged. "It was in a weird room that appeared when I walked past it a few times-"

He shot up off the floor and wiped his face. "Myrtle, I need you to tell me exactly where this room is!"