1.15

~

~

Apparently Alice Winters was dating Davey Gudgeon, and apparently it was big news. And yet, it was news not quite big enough to reach Alice herself until Monday.  It was Dorcas who told her.

"I am?"

"Yes, you are, keep up."

"What?"

Dorcas snorted and doubled over at the lunch table. "I'm totally kidding," Then she paused. "I mean I'm not, am I. Everyone including him thinks so."

"Since when?" Alice gaped. She was confused, obviously, but also a little hurt for reasons she could not quite tell. Maybe it was because Davey hadn't spoken to her about it specifically- weren't you meant to ask someone to be their girlfriend in order for it to actually happen?

Dorcas was trying not to laugh at the whole situation, but the amusement she took in it was shining through as clear as light through a window. "He told his friends last night, I heard them in the common room. Word got out after that, you know what they're like here."

"I do, but I-" The blonde frowned a bit and picked at her sandwich. "I don't know, it feels a bit weird."

"Hey, Lis," Dorcas frowned too and lent her hand over until it fell on top of her friends. "Has this upset you? Because I'll talk to him, and I'll make sure he knows what's-"

"No! No I'm not up- well, I'm not sure really. We spent all Sunday together and it was great and he kissed me again and it was a little less gross than the first time," The Hufflepuff scoffed loudly, but shook her head and motioned to the girl to continue. "But he never mentioned anything about... girlfriends, or- or being one."

"Nothing at all?"

"Nope."

"Maybe he will now."

"What?"

"Quick!" Dorcas began shoving crisps into her mouth, so much so her next words were dreadfully muffled. "He's coming. You better talk to him about this before I hex some romance into that thick skull."

"Dorcas-"

"He's here." She pushed three more crisps into her mouth.

"Hey, Alice." Davey's charming smile arrived before he did, it was enough to make her smile despite whatever was going on. He leant down slightly and kissed her cheek, which was very unexpected and made her whole face light up in red.

"Hi-" A loud crunch came from the other side of the table and two heads snapped round to the dark haired Hufflepuff and her mouthful of ready salted crisps she'd just munched down on. Alice grinned. "Hi, Davey."