the beginning

Alice Winters was nice

Alice Winters was nice. She was a nice girl from a nice family who did nice things for other people. The girl who waited for the bell to ring before packing away her things in worry the teacher would be offended by such haste. The girl who apologized when someone else bumped into her, or who felt guilty for weeks after accidentally speaking too harshly, even if it were to a complete stranger. She had a kind heart, one that gave and gave and gave, even if it never got.

So, aboard the Hogwarts Express on one cold September morning, it was no surprise that an eleven year old James Potter laughed loudly and bet his newest friend, Sirius Black, four chocolate frogs that the girl and her cascading waves of hair as gold as her heart would be sorted instantly into Hufflepuff. Alice, who had for the first time encountered magic just yesterday, had no clue what Hufflepuff was nor why it was any sort of laughing matter. She smiled all the same and nodded her head happily. She was just glad she had made at least two new friends today, for this was a whole new world and she was entering it alone.

"What's it like having magic parents?" Alice wondered dreamily, imagining what it must be like growing up with broomsticks and dancing photos, instead of the mundane she was so used to.

Instantly, the boy who had introduced himself as a Potter grinned so widely his cheeks could have fallen off. The other boy sat in the carriage with the pair, who had yet to tell the girl his name, instead let his smile fade. It did not go unnoticed, but she never got the chance to ask him what was wrong, for James was already midway through a lengthy explanation on the joys of not having to wash the dishes by hand. Alice was in complete awe the whole time, holding onto each word and the images it created in her mind with as much focus as possible. She was scared she'd pinch her arm and it would all be a lovely dream, because that was what happened to her namesake. However this was looking already a lot different, and a lot more exciting, than Wonderland.

They were then joined by two new individuals. One was a girl with long red hair, Alice thought she had never seen anyone with such colorful curls before, and a freckled face. The other a scrawny pale boy with long dark hair and a pointed nose. The front of the duo smiled politely.

"Are those seats taken?" She beckoned gently towards the window, where there was space for two small bodies.

James, who had suddenly gone very uncharacteristically quiet for someone who hadn't yet remained silent for longer than a minute, simply gawked up at them with a strange new look of what seemed to be admiration, so Alice took it upon herself to reply.

"Only by you." She beamed at the other girl, who beamed right back. "What's your name?"

"I'm Lily. This is my friend Severus." The redhead stuck out her hand, which Alice excitedly stood up to shake. It was perhaps a much too formal greeting for two eleven year olds, but both girls were buzzing with an excitement they had never felt before, too happy to care.

"I'm Alice." She was slightly taller than the newcomer, but the quiet boy behind her easily was taller than both. Alice looked around at James and the other boy, suddenly feeling incredibly guilty she didn't know his name. Had he already told her? Had she forgotten? Did they want her to introduce them? "This is James and-"