2.25

Waking up to the word 'Mudblood' carved into the ceiling of her bed frame did nothing but make Alice even more determined to uncover whatever truth Evangeline was hiding

Waking up to the word 'Mudblood' carved into the ceiling of her bed frame did nothing but make Alice even more determined to uncover whatever truth Evangeline was hiding. She almost called the others over to show them the scratched wood, but realised quickly that there was no evidence to prove it was even Eve who'd made the markings and this was simply something they'd think her crazy for again. She sighed and got out of bed so that the image would leave her mind.

Marlene was singing an ABBA song obnoxiously loudly in the shower, Alice could hear her even as she descended the stairs to the common room. Not that she minded, the positivity was nice. There'd been recent reports of Werewolf gatherings in North Wales, big reports. It was the kind of news that had the whole school muttering about full moons and furry 'monsters' - were they working with the Death Eaters? Alice knew Remus must have heard them, must have had it on his mind, but she was thankful he had Sirius to distract him. They seemed to have been hidden their own little bubble of happiness recently, it was refreshing.

She was perhaps doing too much thinking, and so when she tripped a step and stumbled down Alice knew she only had herself to blame. She clattered straight into James Potter and Peter Pettigrew who'd both been stood innocently at the bottom, except she didn't realise it was even them until she'd properly regained her stability.

"Oh," she said, blinking quickly as if that would somehow prevent the blush to her cheeks, "sorry about that. I fell on the stair."

James, who had also been abruptly pushed backwards several steps, looked rather startled. "Clearly."

Peter laughed sheepishly. "Are you alright?"

"Mm, fine." Alice nodded, straightening out her uniform. Then she realised where they were stood. "Thanks for stopping me falling completely to the ground... but, uh, why are you waiting outside the girls dormitory stairs?"

"Why are you?" James shot back.

Alice raised an eyebrow. "Why am I... outside the girls dormitory?"

He hesitated, then nodded firmly. "Yes, it's a valid question."

Peter stifled a laugh. Alice looked at him, then back at James, then back at Peter. They were up to something, that much was obvious. "Alright, keep your secrets. I'm off to breakfast anyway. See you around."

"Wait, Winters - "

"Yeah?"

"Are you okay? You looked... upset?"

Alice was reminded of the Mudblood carving on her bed, but shrugged as casually as possible. "I'm fine. Just... thinking."

She realised as she was walking to breakfast she hadn't seen either of them since the classroom butterbeer incident yesterday, and they must have all been talking about it. Maybe that's why James asked. Oh well, it had happened now and she couldn't change it, she'd stick to her plan and uncover the truth somehow despite what they thought.