1.26

~

~

Funnily enough, neither Alice or James got an official invite to the Slug Club after the party. Perhaps they'd been a little too unconventional for Slughorn's taste. It was good though, neither were complaining as it meant neither would need to attend the regular meetings he was holding, though the larger parties still sat on the horizon.

Unfortunately Alice had moved from under the eye of one Professor to the next, and now she found herself sat in McGonagall's office feeling both confused and frustrated as her teacher asked her about future plans.

"I really don't know what I want to do, Professor."

"Well, I highly advise you take some time to do some research and have a think Miss Winters. This is really quite important." McGonagall was watching her over her spectacles, and Alice felt glum knowing she'd disappointed her favourite teacher.

She fiddled with the bottom of her plait. "I mean, I like astronomy and I think I'm good at it. Potions too."

McGonagall nodded and wrote something down in the book on her desk. "You don't need to decide right now, but your N.E.W.Ts determine what field you'll be able to go into after school, and your O.W.Ls are vital for these. Are you on top of all your work?"

"Yes." Alice was able to say that part confidently, for she was all caught up on homework for the first time in months. "And I've been doing lots of extra revision too."

"Good, that's good." The woman smiled tightly. "Whilst most students will choose five subjects to continue at N.E.W.T level, I suspect you could manage six."

"Oh, really?"

"You have shown me that despite occasional late homeworks, overall you have a good work ethic. Six would also suit you well if you are unsure of what to take."

Alice decided not to tell McGonagall that her 'work ethic' was pretty much nonexistent when it came to the rest of her lessons (minus astronomy); it was better for both of them that way.

The girl left the office a little more stressed than she had been when she arrived. She really had no idea what she wanted to do once they left, she barely even knew the types of jobs you could get in the wizarding world- it didn't seem like that were all that many. Quidditch was an option, but she doubted her skill in that area and she didn't exactly have the star factor that people like James had. Many students went on to work at the Ministry, though to Alice, it sounded completely boring. Plus, with the way things were going, it was likely they wouldn't want to hire her anyway.

She tried to push her mind onto nicer things: dinner, for example, was starting downstairs. Dorcas said she'd save her spot with her and June, who were both yet to have their career meetings. Dorcas and June had been an interesting pairing of late, there was something going on with them but Alice couldn't quite figure out what. One minute they weren't talking, not at all, then the next they were extremely friendly. She hoped this evening would be one of laughter rather than awkward stares.