Chapter Two- Nightmares

I was running down the long white hallways. Marble walls and floors continued and didn't stop.

No windows or doors or an end to be seen.

"Carter." A voice spoke into my head. "Carter."

I pushed harder, committed to getting to the end of the long hallway.

"Carter. Stop, running!" It was my own voice and I immediately came to a halt.

The view around me changed until I was in a room surrounded by windows with people sitting on the other side with a very familiar logo on their shoulders.

Hydra.

In the middle of the room sat a glowing silver sphere with tubes in it syphoning the energy from its core.

"Where did you get that?" I asked with no answer.

That sphere was the same sphere that gave me powers so many years ago but how did it get into Hydras hands. I destroyed it.

Shimmering silver lines in what looked like tears in a piece of paper hung suspended in the air.

"Touch it." A voice said next to me.

I looked to my right and saw the same person I had seen earlier today at my moms.

Myself.

Must've been my conscience.

I walked forward, my body tingled just feeling the power radiating off the sphere.

I reached my hand out in an attempt to touch it.

"No." A voice said as a hand grabbed my wrist. The very familiar red silk sleeve around her own wrist.

I looked up and saw Wanda staring into my eyes.

"No."

***
I exploded from the bed in a cold sweat.

I looked over at Wanda who was still fast asleep, sleeping peacefully.

I slowly got out of the bed and went to the bathroom. I washed my face with cold water and looked into the mirror.

My eyes flashed from their normal blue with silver specks to a shiny silver that completely glossed over my entire eye.

I washed my face with cold water again.

What was happening to me?

It had been over five years since Russia. Why now?

Was it because I was dead?

Was it radioactive fallout from the snap?

There had been reports of people showing signs of abilities after the snap. Mutations in their genetics. Scientists and doctors began calling it the X-Gene.

Had my cells been genetically mutated from how close I was to the snap?

Whatever it was, I needed to get to the bottom of it.

I exited the room onto the balcony that overlooked the forest.

It was only shortly after I felt a pair of arms wrap under my arms and around my chest.

"Wanda." I said as I gripped the railing of the balcony.

"Come back to bed." She whispered.

"Wanda, I'm not okay." I said to her. "There's something going on inside me. Something I can't explain."