Chapter 8 - Redemption

The coffeehouse was quiet because it was getting closer to closing time. With people slowly panning out of the shop, Owen had waited for it to die down before making Alex look after the front of the house so that he could go to the bathroom and check on Liam.

After spending a while in there, Owen eventually closed the bathroom door behind him after leaving Liam behind in there.

Alex was sitting on the barstool when Owen came to stand in front of the counter. "Why hasn't Liam came out yet? It was only a cold drink. I don't think that's a good enough reason to be slacking on the job."

"Liam ended up throwing up in the bathroom," Owen told Alex. "He's been feeling nauseous all day because he hasn't eaten anything except a banana and a cereal bar this morning."

Alex's mind was briefly boggled at that being the reason for Liam to stay in the bathroom. He managed to stumble out words a few words that didn't make himself feel heartless when he said, "Oh. I had no idea."

Owen deeply inhaled through his nose before exhaling. He felt so awful after not being able to notice the state Liam ended up being in tonight. "He's been rushed off his feet all day and was stressed about his schoolwork, his job, and you. From the looks of it, he's just been too busy to take care of himself now."

Alex didn't feel proud or joyous after hearing how Liam was crumbling apart. It may have been what he initially hoped for after continuing the feud he had with him, but the lump in his chest made him feel like everything was so wrong. "Is there anything-"

"Did you place that fake order for some rich company yesterday?" Owen had to ask Alex if he was responsible because Liam shared that the loss in his much-needed wages was a part of the stress that pushed him over the edge.

"I did," Alex admitted. "The fake company was even an anagram that made fun of him."

Owen only had one simple question that he needed to ask Alex again. He felt like a broken record because he needed a better answer than before. "Why are you still doing all of this?"

"It's just a bit of fun!" Alex knew that Liam had an equal amount of enjoyment from the times that he had crushed and humiliated him to his face. "He makes my head explode all the time because he knows he can beat me at my games. His in-your-face attitude and cockiness make me feel like garbage half the time, so I need him to feel how I feel all the time."

Owen knew that he couldn't stand on the sidelines anymore after witnessing the latest events. He couldn't be nice about it anymore because he was now partially aware of how far Alex had been crossing the line with Liam recently.

"Liam's clearly not having fun anymore. He looks absolutely defeated in the bathroom because he's got a long list of problems that you seemingly will never understand."

Alex didn't think there was something internally wrong with Liam. Every day they crossed paths, Liam was always the cheeky, cocky, intelligent, and quick-witted person he only met over a week ago.

"Like what?" Alex wondered.

Owen shrugged his shoulders because he truly didn't know. "I didn't ask him because it's not my place to ask. All I know is that Liam has a lot on his plate right now. He doesn't need Lucifer to add problems onto the long list he already has."

"Yeah but-"

"But nothing!" Alex wasn't able to defend himself as a clearly irritated Owen silenced him with his raised voice and a stern expression on his face.

Alex couldn't remember the last time Owen was this truly mad and frustrated at him. It made him start to believe that all of his antics were now blurring the line that he wasn't meant to cross.