Chapter 2 - A Fight Between Strangers

Liam Crossford was standing in front of his locker when he began to fill it with his heavy books and large folders. As Liam tried to balance everything he was juggling, the obnoxious bell loudly rang to signal it was lunchtime.

As the hallway began to stampede with people rushing to the cafeteria, Liam let them pass by as he didn't want to get lost in the crowd. Despite being a student at Beckerford High School for a little over a week now, Liam still wasn't used to his surroundings.

Liam began to put his backpack on when he watched his locker close without him touching it. He turned his head slightly to see Melissa assisting him by shutting the locker, eager for them to get some food.

"You're too slow Liam. Can we go yet?" Melissa whined. "I want to get some pizza while it's still hot."

Liam nodded his head as he walked to the cafeteria with his best friend. "I think so? It's probably just safer to come with you now since you would probably hunt me down."

"You're very book smart Liam, but you surprisingly have a terrible sense of direction," Melissa laughed.

"At least I know my left from my right." Liam quipped back.

Melissa let out a quiet gasp as she gently pushed Liam. "That's a low blow! I may get them mixed up sometimes, but loads of other people do too!"

Liam chuckled as he stopped moving in the middle of the hallway, with Melissa copying him too. Their height difference made it so that Liam had to tilt his head down slightly as he laughed, "And I used to think you were one of the smartest people I met when I moved here."

"Let's be real, I'm like the only person you've met so far." Melissa snorted.

Liam was worried about making new friends when he moved to Michigan with his family. Every one of his peers seemed to be in their own circle of friends, and Liam didn't want to force himself into those friendships because he was never that sociable. As much as Liam didn't want to spend his school days lonely, he didn't want to conform and change himself to fit those people.

He was almost ready to spend his final year of high school alone when a curly-haired girl came into his life like a wrecking ball. Melissa was the more outspoken one between them as she tried to be Liam's friend first. Liam appreciated their similar taste in music because that was what their first conversation was about.

Melissa pulled her purse out of her bag because she was preparing some money to pay for her lunch. "Let's stand in the queue."

Liam patted his pocket to find his wallet and pull it out. After not finding it on him, Liam groaned out loud when he realized where it was. "I think I've stupidly left my wallet in my locker."

Melissa pressed a finger against her chin as she hummed in contemplation. "I'm going to have to deduct some IQ points from you now."

"Ha. Ha." Liam dryly mocked. "Find us a table and I'll come and find you afterward."

Melissa saluted Liam with all the seriousness she could muster as he then laughed back. Liam then stepped out of the queue so that he could go back to his locker and retrieve his wallet.

~~~~~~~~~~

After a little while, Liam paid for his food as he then picked up his tray of food to take with him. He then turned towards the eating area and scanned the room until he eventually found Melissa in the corner of the room.

Liam expertly moved past everyone without bumping into anyone and sat his tray down beside Melissa. He had to squeeze into his seat because the tables were extremely cramped near the corners of the room.