Chapter 7

The first few days of the siege were the days when the most battles were held. Even then, it was hard to call them 'battles'. Mainly a few soldiers struggling, and failing, to break through their iron-clad barricade. Even then, seeing out futile any attempt at fighting them back was, the admiral refused to surrender.

A stupid decision, on their end, really.

The simple flutter of a colourless flag was all it took on their end to save countless lives. Ally and enemy alike.

But, no. Here Hoseok was, riding on horseback alongside the barricade that was impossible to pass. With soldiers armed with alarms on the lookout, and patrols monitoring in between, no one could slip past the siege.

Or... at least that's what Hoseok thought.

The last thing that he was expecting to see was a boy, dressed in, what seemed like rags, stumbling about in a building's ruins.

"You! Halt!" The marshal yelled, immediately directing his horse to rapidly approach the boy looking at him with a terrified gaze.

The boy yelped, quivering in fear and he lost his footing, scrambling until his back hit the crumpled wall. His terrified eyes widened in realization at who was before him.

"Who are you?" He barked, hoping off his steed as he pulled out his blade and directed it toward his neck.

The boy gulped, staring at the blade as he started to breathe heavier. "P-park, Jimin sir," he stuttered, voice laced with anxiety.

"How did you escape the siege, Jimin?" He ordered, voice slightly lighter but not as absolutely terrifying as it was before. Enough for the boy to still be rightfully scared of him.

"I was just looking for f-food, sir. I didn't realize that, that I was out of city b-bounds." He kept his gaze downcast.

Jimin winced at himself, knowing that it sounded like a horrible lie. But he was shocked to see that the Glorian marshal looked confused?

"So what you're telling me," the marshal said, lowering his blade from the boy's throat, "that you happened past the siege of the Gloria army?" His tone was light, a little on edge from the presence of an apart enemy, but still playful. A drastic change from the marshal Jimin had first seen.

"Not intentionally?" Jimin stated, clearly as a question. He was trying to be careful with his words, wary of an enemy soldier that he had every right to keep his guard up around.

The marshal chuckled, sheathing the weapon. "Park Jimin, you said your name was?"

Jimin quickly nodded, "t-that's correct, sir."

Hoping up onto the back of his horse, Hoseok grinned at the boy who, luckily, looked much less terrified. "Well then, Park Jimin, stay here and I'll get you some food from my camp."

Jimin's eyes, once again, widened at the statement from the marshal. The method of a siege was to cut supplies from the enemy, to let them starve until the powers surrender. Allowing supplies through broke the very rules of a siege. Especially if the one breaking the rule was the commanding officer.

He'd be a fool to deny such an offer.

After receiving a slight nod, the marshal turned his horse and quickly headed back to base.

~~

Returning to the camp, Hoseok practically leaped off his horse as he ran into the camp.

The soldiers standing guard at the base fumbled with their spears, struggling to reach up for a proper salute to their commander.

Rushing into a tent to grab as much food as he could fit into a cloth, he ran back out to his horse.

His men said nothing as the marshal raced off again.

~~

Jimin raised his head as he heard the approaching sound of hooves on rock.

He cursed before diving to hide behind the wall.

Who knows? He couldn't trust the commanding officer of the enemy forces! Maybe the marshal was just playing some cruel trick, offering him food before striking him down with his sw-

"Park Jimin? Are you still here?" The marshal's voice rang, following the thudding of boots hitting the ground.

The boy peeked his head out from behind the wall.

Hoseok was looking over the ruined city, freezing when he saw the meek gaze on him.

He held out the pack of food, showing that it was no threat to him as he placed it on the ground. He took a step back, hands in the air. "I know you don't have any reason to trust me, but its not poisoned, eat up."

Jimin didn't move in the slightest.

The marshal sighed knowingly, climbing back onto his horse. He pulled the reins as the horse began to move. Hoseok grinned down at the boy, "I do hope we meet again, Park Jimin."