Chapter Eight

Despite George telling him to go, Dream came back almost two hours later.

George was preparing himself for another fight, considering that's what seemed to be a constant in their conversations, but he was surprised when Dream just came in and said nothing.

He wasn't sure which he preferred, the yelling, or the quiet. Both were extremely uncomfortable for the merman. When yelling, he had the fear of being killed for it, and when quiet, he had the fear of not knowing what was happening.

They sat there for about an hour, George lost in daydreams but keeping an eye on the other man, and Dream sitting there whistling or fumbling with things in the room.

But then Dream just up and left, leaving a confused George staring after him.

George proceeded to sit there, blowing his newfound fluffy hair up every time it flopped over his eyes, when Dream came back, not even ten minutes after his departure.

In Dream's hands was a book. George hummed in acknowledgement to himself while the blonde sat back down in his previous spot, flicking open the pages and diving into the words.

George watched him read (it's not creepy, okay?) and continued to blow his hair up.

Dream didn't move much. He'd sit there, and when his back ached, he'd shift slightly, but other than that, he was basically like a statue. Unspoken, unmoving. Just...existing.

His blonde hair flopped over his mask, and he pushed it back up, settling into the corner once again. George leaned against the side of the glass and rested his head on his arms. 

Dream continued to read, not taking any notice of the merman, who huffed slightly to himself. 

George narrowed his eyes for a moment when an interesting but also bothering thought came to his mind.

How on earth could Dream see through that mask? As far as he was aware, the smile and eyes were painted on, and he couldn't see any other way the man would be able to move around and see, let alone read.

Dream must have noticed George's gaze on him, because he looked away from his book to the merman, who was staring intently at him.

"What?" the man questioned, and George did not respond.

Dream stared at him for a moment, before sighing, shaking his head, and going back to his book, flicking the page over again gently.

George coughed to get Dream's attention, who looked up once more.

"What?" he repeated, and let out an annoyed huff when George didn't respond to him.

George had to bite back the smirk that was trying to push its way onto his face. Sure, he did want to know how Dream could see through that thing, but it was far more fun playing with the man. After everything that Dream had done, George had every single right to make their time together as annoying as possible. If he annoyed Dream to the point where he got fed up, maybe he'd stop hanging around in George's room. Wow, George was so smart. Good job George.

Dream continued to read, while the brunette had an idea.

He turned so he was at the other side of the glass tank, leaning his head on his arms like before on the side of the glass, before he lifted his tail from behind him, and let it collide with the water with a splash. The water sloshed around him, but only a little bit went over the edge.

Dream jumped in surprise, dropping his book. He looked up at George questioningly.

"What the hell was that for?" George made the executive decision to once again not respond.