Chapter Twenty-Seven

George looked up at the man, feelings uncertain as Dream did not respond. Yes, he'd just dropped a bomb on the blonde, telling him that he would give him his healing tears, but that's what Dream wanted, so why wasn't he responding?

The man blinked in surprise, shock ridden on his face, obviously trying to find the words to respond.

George glanced down at their entwined hands and squeezed them gently. Dream snapped out of his daze and looked up at George, making eye contact.

The brunette smiled hesitantly at him, confused at what Dream was doing.

The man noticed the weird look on George's face and smiled back, squeezing George's hands just like he had done before.

"George," he started, almost breathless, "that's- well- thank you. So much."

George let his smile widen as they looked at each other.

"So...what's the plan?" George questioned, and Dream raised an eyebrow.

"I don't know about you, but I don't plan on staying with Schlatt. So if you have any ideas to get me out of it, that'd be great." George elaborated, a little sarcasm laced in his tone.

It'd been a while before he'd been sarcastic like that.

He missed acting like a bitch.

Dream smiled, "Right, of course." he cleared his throat.

"Um, well, Schlatt said he needed your tears, so when we give him those, then we can go. He just needs to cure his illness- and after that, well, he has no use for you anymore, so we should be good." George raised an eyebrow at that, clearly skeptical, but shrugged.

"You can give us the tears before we see him, so we just drop them off and then get out of there." Dream added on, and George let out a shaky breath, looking down at Dream's hands, held so perfectly against his own.

"Dream?" he asked, and the blonde hummed, allowing him to continue.

"What are we doing after we see Schlatt?"

Dream frowned, confusion on his face, and George had to suppress an eye roll at his oblivious nature.

"What do you mean?" he questioned, and George sighed, slipping his hands out from Dream's, the man in question looking at him, an unfamiliar expression gracing his face.

"Where am I going? You only need me for the tears. Where do I go after you achieve your mission? Back to the ocean, or....well, what do you think?" his voice broke slightly at the end, and Dream rushed to hold his hands again.

He held them tighter than before, but it wasn't painful. Comforting, more like.

"I hadn't even thought of that," Dream murmured, sighing, "If you want to go to the ocean again, well...I'm not going to stop you. Go back to the sea." 

Go back to the sea.

Hurt ran through George's heart, gripping it tightly like a coiling sea snake.

He flinched back slightly, removing his hands from Dream's once more.

Dream didn't want him there.

If he did, he would have asked George to stay. But he wanted George to go back to the ocean. He didn't care what he did after he was done needing him.

Had George been reading into everything too much? Seeing things that weren't really there? He was under the impression that Dream was his friend.