Chapter Thirty-Seven

Dream stared down at George's unmoving body and shook his head.

Why wasn't it working? It had to work, it just had to!

Dream watched the glowing tears get absorbed into the brunette's wound, and let his tears drop.

Dream nudged him slightly, but there was no response.

"Phil," Dream murmured, turning to look up at him, tears blurry in his eyes, "Phil, he's not waking up."

Phil looked down at him, a mournful expression gracing his face.

"Dream..." "No!" Dream sobbed, looking down at George.

"George, wake up! Please, it had to work! Please wake up!" he screamed, sobs wracking his body as tears streamed down at his face.

"You have to wake up," he cried, "I need you. I love you. Please." 

George did not move.

Dream pulled George's body close to him, hugging him one last time as he buried his head in George's shoulder.

He gripped onto his shirt, not wanting to let go as tears streamed down his face.

Dream held him for a minute as he refused to believe his George was gone.

Suddenly, Dream felt a hand in his hair, and for a moment he thought it was Phil until the body he was holding started to move.

He gasped, pulling back and looking in front of him, holding George's shoulders.

The man was awake, blinking at him tiredly. 

George looked down to his wound, which had stitched itself up, and let out a shaky breath.

Dream stared at him in shock, tears drying slightly but still red on his cheeks. 

"George..." Dream whispered, not taking his eyes off the man, scared that he would die if he did so.

The merman looked up at the sound of his name and stared at Dream.

He's alive. He's alive, he's alive, he's alive!

"You're alive..." Dream murmured, and the man nodded his head slightly.

They stared at each other for what felt like an eternity, and Dream felt the happiest he had in a long time.

After a moment, George smiled, tilting his head to the side slightly.

"I'm sorry, did you say you loved me?" he asked, and Dream went bright red. He felt heat crawl up his cheeks and he stammered, trying to find an excuse.

Oh shit, oh shit, oh shit.

George rolled his eyes, before leaning forward and kissing him.

It felt like nothing he'd ever felt before, his heartbeat increased so much it felt like it would burst from his chest.

He froze in surprise, before he melted into the kiss, cupping his hands over George's cheeks.

At that moment, it was just him and George. Everyone else in the room had disappeared. The only one he focused on was the merman. George. His George.

They parted after a moment, and Dream continued to hold George's face.

He panted slightly from the lack of air before a giddy smile lit up his face.

George grinned back at him as they stayed in each other's arms.

"Does that- does that mean you-"